Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mpg calulation.

Options
  • 10-08-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I put 80 quid worth of diesel in the car, 71.49 litres and did 560.6 klm, then refilled and put 70.69 litres in. How do I calulate the mpg.

I'm thick btw, maths was never my thing.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

dubtom wrote:
    I put 80 quid worth of diesel in the car, 71.49 litres and did 560.6 klm, then refilled and put 70.69 litres in. How do I calulate the mpg.

I'm thick btw, maths was never my thing.:o

If you necked it, drove 560.6 km (348.34 miles) and re-necked with 70.69 litres (~15.55 gallons) then divide your mileage by the amount of fuel used which gives your fuel consumption as 22.4 mpg. Burp!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Beaten to it but here are the sums

If by saying you put 80 quid in you filled the car then you did 560.6 km on 70 litres

Your are therefore getting 8 km per litre 560 / 70
    There are 4.5 litres in a gallon so 8 * 4.5 = 36 kms per gallon
    There are 1.6 kilometres in a mile so you are getting 36 / 1.6 = 22 MPG

PS that bad mileage for a diesel, are you sure it's a car not a truck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

or if you want it in litres per hundred kilometers:

70.69 / 5.606 = 12.6 l/100 km

bit thirsty, that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

yep around 22.5 mpg. you did 12.6119ltr/100km so to convert it
    100/12.6119 = 7.929km/ltr
    * 4.55 = 36.077 km/gallon
    (36.077/8)*5 = 22.548 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Really, I'm surprised, thats exactly what the car was advertised as doing when I bought it.I use ac all the time too.Would I be foolish to expect the mpg to improve after the first service,when the engine is broken in a little.( don't know if thats an old wives tale)
    And thanks all for the math lesson:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What are you driving that is a diesel that does 22mpg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dubtom wrote:
    Really, I'm surprised, thats exactly what the car was advertised as doing when I bought it.I use ac all the time too.Would I be foolish to expect the mpg to improve after the first service,when the engine is broken in a little.( don't know if thats an old wives tale)
    And thanks all for the math lesson:D

Apparently there is a run-in period, after which MPG can improve.

Here are a couple of online MPG calculators for you:
    http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/
    http://www.torquecars.co.uk/Tuning/uk-mpg-calculator.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kluivert wrote:

I'm guessing a big 4x4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

kluivert wrote:

A Sherman Tank? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kluivert wrote:

I think he drives a Sang Yong Rodius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

an american car I bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It's a rodius alright, a merc 2.7 diesel.And yesI have a yank Mustang too,5.8 V8 petrol, I'd hazard a guess that the mustang could match the rodius mpg wise on a cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Jesus that's one thirsty diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

considering the size and weight of the yoke plus the fact that all driving is in the city as a taxi, 12.6 l isn't too bad really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

maybe you got diesel lovin roaches in your fuel tank....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's awful for a 2.7 diesel 6 pot :eek:

I get about the same in my V8 petrol 7-series doing about 95% Dublin traffic. Do you leave the engine on for long periods of time queuing at the rank, dubtom? You mention you use aircon all the time. Were those figures taken during the recent hot spell? Aircon can easily add 10-15% in fuel consumption in city traffic

Although having said all that, the official consumption for city driving is about what you're getting. Pretty shocking still for a car that weighs just a fraction over 2 tonnes

Advertisement