Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on course after surgery? Help

Options
  • 10-08-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I'm just out of hospital after some pretty major surgery involving splitting the sternum (breastbone). I asked the surgeon beforehand how long it would be before I could play golf again and was told three months. It's now a month since the op and I'm starting to realise that he meant from a medical point of view there's no reason why I can't play golf after three months, not that I would be good as new again!

So I think I am now resigned to the fact that I won't be able to make my way around an 18 hole course until early next year.

In the meantime can anyone offer any tips on low impact practice drills, getting golf fit again etc?
    I'm thinking maybe in a month or so I could start hitting the pitch and putt and work from there.
    If anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to hear their advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I was out for 2 years with a golf induced hand injury. And I can tell you getting back is the most frustrating thing.

I am only now, in the last few months, striking the ball as well as I was before injury. I started back playing in Jan 2005!! You gotta stick with it, and try play as much as possible without overdoing it..

I know people are going to say go to the range, but in my case, it was over doing it, too many impacts, in too little time just meant pain!

Try to see how much you can do. Once you find that limit, keep under it for a while. Then try and push that limit every so often. (Ok not sure that makes sense!!) Patience is the key..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

milltown wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe in a month or so I could start hitting the pitch and putt and work from there.
    If anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to hear their advice.
    maybe just run it by the surgeon just to be on the safe side, you don't want to do any further damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Don't worry, I'll be talking to him well before then, when I expect to be given the green light to start driving (the other kind) and light physical activities.

Advertisement