Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where this forum should be

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Is this forum in the right place, I first posted a sports investment thread in sports, because I was unaware of the gambling forum. I see this gambling forum is now in Games/real world games, is this the right place to put it? Wouldn't it be more read and contributed to if it was called the sports gambling forum and in the sports forum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

What about non sport gambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

fade2black wrote:
    What about non sport gambling?

Fair comment, but I haven't seen many threads which don't focus on sports in this forum. I guess if Poker (for example) had a number of threads on the go there would be an issue about the forum being in the sports area, but my gut feeling is most reading and contributing to this forum are sports punters - and feel the forum's home is in the Sports section of the boards. It's not a big deal but others may want to air their thoughts. One could argue it should be in the investments/markets/money section - it depends how you view your gambling - as an investment or as a social/recreational pasttime, there you go perhaps it should be in recreational. IMO I think the sports forum with the title Sports gambling, would be the more appropriate home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I'd agree with Westtip on this.

Did I have a reply deleted from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I've spent yonks today trying to find it since it was moved from New. Sports is the place to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fade2black wrote:
    Did I have a reply deleted from this thread?

Maybe the recommendation of another site was the problem?

Maybe the recommendation of another site was the problem?

Aye, didn't think the whole post would be deleted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's probably best to start a feedback thread to get the admins attention if you think it should be moved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Calling it "sports gambling" would be too narrow. Also, I think I originally put the forum under sport but that was basically temporary. Rec is certainly a decent candidate and the usenet hierarchies agree with that. However, we tend to follow the dmoz.org categories which places it under games.

ecksor wrote:
    Calling it "sports gambling" would be too narrow. Also, I think I originally put the forum under sport but that was basically temporary.

Why was that temporary if you don't mind me asking? I think having it under Sports would be the best place for it, it is hidden away here in two sub forums and is hard to get to. Sports -> Gambling ftw! Either that or Rec.

• Advertisement

Well, Gambling isn't a sport. However it can be translated as "gaming".

ecksor wrote:
    However it can be translated as "gaming".

No more so than Gambling not being a sport. Classing gambling under Games kind of makes me cringe, but I don't mind either way as I have it in my subbed list. If it was a choice between Games and Rec, I'd be leaning towards Rec.

It's not really a big issue and I'm sure you have more on your plate with all of the testing and whatnot going on, and the placing of a forum isn't as important as cutting down on server load, but maybe give Rec a thought? :)

We have given Rec a thought. I'm basically 50/50 between the two placements. Cloud followed dmoz.org as he tends to do and I'm happy to go with that but I'd be ok with a change too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think Rec would be a good place. Make it more noticable and hopefully bit more popular. Not huguely pushed though.

I think Rec would be a good place. Make it more noticable and hopefully bit more popular. Not huguely pushed though.

Glad to hear some views on this one - personally I woudl go with sport but REc sounds good to me. I hardly consider gambling a game anyway..

Are we on the move again?

ecksor wrote:
    We have given Rec a thought. I'm basically 50/50 between the two placements. Cloud followed dmoz.org as he tends to do and I'm happy to go with that but I'd be ok with a change too.

Nice one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Rec or Sports in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Moved.

\o/

• Advertisement

Just resurrecting this one as to where we should be - why - because the horse racing forum, which has threads on pretty much nothing else than gambling, systems and tips on horses is in the sports thread. This is the gambling forum - but not a single horse race gambling thread since when??, because all the horse punters go to the horse racing forum, this forum seems to be dominated by football betting (which is pretty much all I am interested in these days) although some welcome input on tennis betting, will we be discussing ryder cup punting here or in golf? I still think the whole forum should be Sports Gambling and in the Sports Forum. It may not matter to those who use it on a regular basis, but I am sure many of the viewers of football forum may be more likely to drift into the sports betting or sports gambling forum if we were in Sports. Any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Leaving it in Rec is ok with me, after all, for 99% of us, it is a recreational activity :D

Gambling is a recreational activity. Some people gamble on non sporting events. That's the bottom line really. I don't think you're going to lose sleep about where it is on this forum.

probably right - the only thing I lose sleep over is my eighteen month old lying on my head all night in bed spilling milk and liga into my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

westtip wrote:
    Just resurrecting this one as to where we should be - why - because the horse racing forum, which has threads on pretty much nothing else than gambling, systems and tips on horses is in the sports thread. This is the gambling forum - but not a single horse race gambling thread since when??, because all the horse punters go to the horse racing forum, this forum seems to be dominated by football betting (which is pretty much all I am interested in these days) although some welcome input on tennis betting, will we be discussing ryder cup punting here or in golf? I still think the whole forum should be Sports Gambling and in the Sports Forum. It may not matter to those who use it on a regular basis, but I am sure many of the viewers of football forum may be more likely to drift into the sports betting or sports gambling forum if we were in Sports. Any thoughts.

Would go with that. Rec is slightly better than Real Life Games, but Sport would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

westtip wrote:
    probably right - the only thing I lose sleep over is my eighteen month old lying on my head all night in bed spilling milk and liga into my hair.

You'll be the man for the Spanish Football advice then? :)

Advertisement