Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Average mileage

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭

According to the preliminary results of this report the average mileage in this country is only 10.5k miles, way lower than has been estimated recently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That'd be about right for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

unkel wrote:
    According to the preliminary results of this report the average mileage in this country is only 10.5k miles, way lower than has been estimated recently

don't you mean average yearly milaege?

I can't access the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pinochio

For me, driving to and from work, I do 680 miles a week, never mind whatever driving I do at the weekend!:eek:

holy crap. my weekly commuting is a total of about 140 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@quarryman: yearly mileage indeed. And apologies, I forgot that the Irish Independent site requires (free) registration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I would be nearly double that average.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well considering most week days my car is parked outside the house as I bus it to and from work and yet I still average about 18K a year driving in the evenings and at weekends, I'd say the majority of those stats were done by surveying people in or around Dublin..

Most people I know outside of Dublin would do 15k+ a year just commuting to/from work and whatever driving they do outside that.

But then again it is the average and about a third of the population live/work in Dublin so it could be right.

It still seems a little low to me.. as thats approx 28 miles a day.. not very much in my opinion.. must be a hell of a lot of under used cars out there.

Funny enough ya dont see too many of them in car dealerships when you're looking for a good second hand car with low mileage :rolleyes:

Tox

I live in Kilkenny but my commute is only 12 miles each way. I do clock up a good few miles going to/from Dublin for the airport etc and to/from Cork for exams once a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i have just done 28k in 1 year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

drdre wrote:
    i have just done 28k in 1 year

Thats a lot of donuts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

bought a new car at the end of april and have 22000 km on it all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm was doing close to 29k miles a year but don't travel on company business that much recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Well the average is going to be alot lower for Dublin people, than people in the country. I think that sounds about right as a national average, since 1/3 of the population or so live in Dublin.

My father does about 9000 miles/year - he only does about 130/week, but the drive to the continent bumps it up by about 3000.
    My mother does about 5000 miles/year
    I do about 14000 miles/year (mostly from driving up north)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

25 miles each way, 3-4 days a week + weekend mileage. No idea anually really but at least €40/week on petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I do close to 1000 miles some weeks, mostly though it's around 600-700. My car is 3.5 years old and already has approx 120k clocked up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

BrianD3 wrote:
    I do close to 1000 miles some weeks, mostly though it's around 600-700. My car is 3.5 years old and already has approx 120k clocked up :eek:
    I'm the same.
    Do at least 700 miles a week because of work. Have hit 1400 miles in one week before. Crazy.
    That doesn't include my own travel when I'm off.

Would easily hit 40k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

unkel wrote:
    surely they should have published the report in km rather than miles....

(I'm just bored...)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lex Luthor wrote:
    surely they should have published the report in km rather than miles....

Agreed. Most of the media switched to reporting in km in fairness. It does not help if some still report in miles. It is hard enough for some people to convert without being confronted by these mixed figures

I've averaged only 11,000 km per year in the last year or two. I have a very easy commute in Dublin terms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thats a lot of donuts ;)

very funny:mad: .i know its alot of driving.so thats why imtrying to get rid og the car and get something different or diesel.

Advertisement