Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer Work

Options
  • 10-08-2006 4:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I was curious as to whether any of you good folk have experience in volunteering? I've wanted to look into it for several months now but dont really know where to start, googling it throws up a lot if different results! :eek:

So how does it work, where did you go, did you enjoy the experience? And any tips on where to start my search, I really dont know how it all works!

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are you talking about going abroad with Concern or some such organisation? I did some work with Habitat not that long ago (you know building houses for people that can't afford them, helping out with that). I found it very rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is infact a forum for this Volunteerism
    you can find it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

God we really do have everything don't we?! Next time I want to post on quantum physics I'll be sure to look first! ;)

Ruu I guess you can delete this, its a bit too dumbed down to move! :D

Brilliant, I'll move it to there so.

Cheers Ruu.

I emailed Habitat about their Global Village teams thing, hopefully I'll get something back soon. They're just 2-4 week things though I believe, a nice intro hopefully!

Has anybody more exprience in longer stretches in some of the third world countries for example?

• Advertisement

Cheers Ruu.

I emailed Habitat about their Global Village teams thing, hopefully I'll get something back soon. They're just 2-4 week things though I believe, a nice intro hopefully!

Has anybody more exprience in longer stretches in some of the third world countries for example?

I wish I did, not only would you experience a whole new world and culture but you would be doing something worthwhile. I must look into it myself actually, hopefully you'll get some replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I did an eight month stint, absolutely loved it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, if you're thinking of volunteering abroad you HAVE to visit this website...

www.volunteeringoptions.org

It's run by Comhlamh, they are based in Dublin so you can even phone them or call into them, they are the experts and so nice and helpful. They'll be able to give you loads of advice, and they run information days and all sorts of stuff.

But that website is the best place to find EXACTLY the kind of thing you're looking for!

Good luck!

Cheers Kooli, i appreciate it!

Where did you go? What sort of things did you do? I'm looking to get some real inside info on how it was, day to day life in general, if you have the time i'd love to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Jix

fade to grey, I'm just back after volunteering in Namibia for 9 weeks. Too short really. Most orgs that send people off to third world countries seem to be run really well, with plenty of pre-departure briefing, in country support etc... All of the long term and short term volunteers I met over there really loved what they were doing. Think of sound bites like - travel, challenges, sharing skills, meeting amazing wierd and wonderful people and a few other sound bites in your own head and you've probably got it. I was sharing a house with a couple of other volunteers, given a reasonable living allowance and worked my ass off. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

This is an English site but its worth a look. Ive been toying with the idea of Volunteering for quite a while and wish i could just bite the bullet and do it. Most of my friends have done the whole travelling thing and the boyf has too good a job to give up just to come with me, it doesnt interest him too much. So going on my own is the only thing thats really stopping me!! This site, even tho prices are in sterling, seems to be a lot cheaper than the others.

www.realgapyear.co.uk

• Advertisement
Advertisement