Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pmcia gone the way of the dinos?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Just bought a new lappie........
    HP Compaq Presario V5000 to be exact...

Closer inspection revealed no pmcia port!! Just this small little slot thingy with a weird shaped ejectable plate...

Apparently this is the new big thing that all laptops are replacing good oul pmcia slots with! -> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-expresscard.htm

But what about all the stuff that already exists that you want to plug into your pmcia slot?
    Has anyone heard of stuff compatible with this new fangled express card thingy?

b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I doubt PCMCIA is going out just yet, strange that it wasn't included on your lappy. :) *hugs pcmcia card*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have both in my HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

As yet there is very little use for an express card slot as not many devices have taken up the new technology, most people find nothing wrong with good 'ol pcmcia slots as they do the job fine as molst addin cards are still in that form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Yeah, I agree.
    Seems tho that the higher end HP Compaqs will no longer be shipped with pmcia slots. :(

b

• Advertisement
Advertisement