Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW, dont u just love em

Options
  • 10-08-2006 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

driving to mallow earlier this week,passed out a car and then, the accelerator collapsed. no throttle at all. i was like, wtf. so i pulled over and discovered the throttle cable came loose, a minor fix, but if it snapped or somethin id be corked.......!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BMW's can break? Who'da thunk it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

The best thing about a BMW breaking down.....
    is the price you paid for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭maidhc

Throttle cable snapped in my mondeo last year. It gave plenty warning, and was stiff for about a year, but of course I just ignored it. I had to drive home 20 miles with the throttle held open at 3.5k rpm by a srcuntched up disposable coffee cup. :) It did the job, although hills were a slow affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    Throttle I had to drive home 20 miles with the throttle held open at 3.5k rpm by a srcuntched up disposable coffee cup. :) It did the job, although hills were a slow affair.
    I love stories like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My dad has seen 3 broken down BMWs in the last few weeks. One was complete with the bonnet open and steam billowing out of it. But with the sheer volumes of BMWs being mass produced these days, quality has to suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I would say with the sheer volumes of BMWs beening sold in ireland that you are bound to see a few broken down. You will probably see loads of Merc, Fords, Toyotas, VWs etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

whippet wrote:
    I would say with the sheer volumes of BMWs beening sold in ireland that you are bound to see a few broken down. You will probably see loads of Merc, Fords, Toyotas, VWs etc ...
    law of averages really....

I replaced the throttle cable on the 5 series a year back because it was getting stiff. The ASC cable snapped a few months back with caused the traction control to disengage...how many times when you were kids did your gear or brake cable snap on your bike....? They don't last forever.

How old is your car legs11? Your cable only came loose so it probably was just not fixed properly. Same happened to me with the 156 in the 1st month of ownership...throttle cable popped off. Put it back on and has stayed there for the last 6yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

One of my leccy windows stopped working last week. Car is 10 years old and has >200,000km on the clock. First non-consumable part to go broken on me in 6 years of owning old high mileage BMWs
    maidhc wrote:
    I had to drive home 20 miles with the throttle held open at 3.5k rpm by a srcuntched up disposable coffee cup

Nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

how old is my car, well quiet old:D
    13yrs to be exact, but its going sound. no problems at all.
    with this extreme weather bmws in particular need to keep their radiators and water cooling intact, otherwise. bye bye......!

as long as you look after bmws i think they will look after you, thats my 10cents.

i really want a 6 pot thou:mad:

Advertisement