Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SANS Course, DCU September

Options
  • 09-08-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Posting to let people know that there is a SANS GCIH (Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits) Mentor Program starting in DCU in September (13th) if anyone on this forum is interested.

Link to Mentor Course is here: http://www.sans.org/mentor/details.php?nid=1574

Full details on the GCIH course are here: http://www.sans.org/training/description.php?tid=243

The course costs approximately the same as other professional courses of its type and is well recognised both locally and abroad.

It is being run by myself (Robert McArdle) and my work collegue Candid Wueest, who are both Certified for the course and are both working as Malware Analysts in the Security Response department of Symantec in Blanchardstown.

If anyone has any questions about the course contents etc feel free to PM me here on boards or alternatively email me on either RobertMcArdle[I_HATE_SPAM]gmail.com or Robert_McArdle[I_HATE_SPAM]symantec.com where [I_HATE_SPAM] is replaced with the obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've no relationship with SANS, but they are the real deal when it comes to security. Go to this course and not the makey uppey ethical hacking courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Thats a bit of a blatant advertisment there sham. I believe you're supposed to BUY advertising on this site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think the event is of interest to users here.

ecksor wrote:
    I think the event is of interest to users here.

Coola boola. I also have an event of interest, but I'll keep that for a seperate thread.

N

P.S. The only reason I posted that was cause I thought it was against the rules to post up about events that cost money to attend. Apologies..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It's a case by case sort of judgement for me. Cronus was letting people know about that conference he was organising on here too (and getting a lot of stick about the price from users). In this case I'm not sure about exactly how much profit is going to the guys running the training, but I seem to recall that it isn't that easy to get SANS training in Ireland so I'm willing to let them tell people about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

I agree, advertising courses that cost money is not in the spirit of discussion forums.

Hmmm,

What makey uppey courses do you refer to, and what experience do you have of them ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i would love to go to something like that, but it is too expensive for me, as are alot of courses on computer security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

i would love to go to something like that, but it is too expensive for me, as are alot of courses on computer security.

Another reason when you finish college to ask companys in interviews about there education policy as this is currently my priority question in interviews.

SAMS cources are on my list of must do but right now im working on other courses. There highly respected and its due to the content more than the name.

Bear in mind that you can buy the books and home study for others and the SAMS cources at a fraction of the cost. (i'm doing it now)

I do like to see these posted but i can understand the reservations on advertiseing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

SANS cources are on my list of must do but right now im working on other courses. There highly respected and its due to the content more than the name.

Ditto, when I finish my next round of exams.
    Bear in mind that you can buy the books and home study for others and the SANS cources at a fraction of the cost. (i'm doing it now)

I would be very interested to hear how you got/get on with this. I have thought about doing the same but Ive never spoken to anyone who has attempted it. What course are you doing?

Personnaly I think its a good thing to allow Posts like this to continue, I wouldn't consider them advertising really, more keeping people aware of whats going on. I hope the course runs well for the OP and perhaps it will encourage others to run SANS mentoring courses here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Im still on the Ms courses.
    Home studyed a CCNA and finished it.

Self Study

If you're unable to attend a SANS conference, the Self-Study program may be for you. We ship the course training materials to your door and you take your own time, at your own pace to complete the training. Audio files of SANS instructors presenting the material at recent conferences are also provided for Self-Study students for a period of 6 months.

http://www.sans.edu/schedules/

• Advertisement

If you are working (in Dublin) for a non-state funded organisation and have a PPS number the EU (through FAS) will pay 60% of the cost of various security courses at the moment.

Penetration testing, ethical hacking and the CCE (computer forensics) are all eligible atm...but I doubt for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hantakage

I would be very interested to hear how you got/get on with this. I have thought about doing the same but Ive never spoken to anyone who has attempted it. What course are you doing?

I sat the SANS Course myself of the books originally (SANS Self Study) and found it to be a good way of doing things. You have 6 months to do the course at your own pace and it gives you plenty of time to mess around with the various tools, techniques. The Mentor course is the same (as in you get the books, study at home etc), but with the addition of the classes - which are designed so that you can meet other security professionals, and myself and Candid will be demonstrating some of the techniques as well as doing things like setting up Capture the Flag, showing how some threats run on machines, etc.

I did not mean the original post to come across as an advertisment, I just thought people who read the section of boards would be interested. As for the cost, it is pretty high, but then all of these level of course are (CCNA, etc). Also it actually works out cheaper to do the Mentor program ($1930) than the Self Study ($2305). Plus SANS give group discounts if 2 or more students are from the same employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

If you are working (in Dublin) for a non-state funded organisation and have a PPS number the EU (through FAS) will pay 60% of the cost of various security courses at the moment.

Penetration testing, ethical hacking and the CCE (computer forensics) are all eligible atm...but I doubt for long.

i'm not working at the moment.
    live in donegal.

might try & get the books & try study myself.

Advertisement