Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast can you pick?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 1:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No cheating!

1) Get your hands out of your pants and onto the fretboard for this little competition.
    2) Set up your metrone at a moderate speed and see what tempo you can maintain an alternate picking pattern at for 1 minute solid, no speeding up or slowing down.
    3) For the sake of uniformity let that string be an open palm muted D.
    4) Once you can keep constant tempo, up the speed of the metronome.
    5) Post your whiplash speed
    6) Accept the awe of your fellow boarders.

*Note* No w@nkers - unfair advantage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well I do pretty regular excersizes with the metronome, which involves playing chromatic excersizes at 4 notes per beat. I can go up to about 140/150 or so BPM, any more and it starts to get real sloppy. How's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok.

http://www.sleevesmahoney.com/blah.mp3

****ty mic :\/

I could do it better live with a bit o' adren flowing through me.

EDIT: Oh, 1 minute. Ok, give me some time to prepare my arm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I suppose since I started this thread I should post something too. Will try later when I get home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well last night/early hours of the morning I whipped out the flying v and throttled it up to 4 notes per beat at 160bpm. Tried 168 for a while but wasn't warmed up enough to keep it steady and too knackered to keep trying.

Giblet, what bpm was your soundfile at? Can you keep that up for long?

Makes me want to practice more.

• Advertisement

230bpm 16ths I did the same at the first boardstock for around 45 seconds and didn't feel tired, I feel the strain at home in front of a PC though.

The end part was probably faster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

What do you mean 230bpm 16ths? Are you saying with the metronome running at 230bpm you can manage 4 notes per beat?

Fusion

Yes.

Giblet wrote:
    230bpm 16ths I did the same at the first boardstock for around 45 seconds and didn't feel tired, I feel the strain at home in front of a PC though.

The end part was probably faster though.

alrighty, something to aim for.

When I was trying this last night I realised that it would be better to do some kind of chromatic up and down as well as just open palm mute picking. Anyway, thats a battle for another day.

Giblet wrote:
    230bpm 16ths I did the same at the first boardstock

What was/is boardstock? I presume its a get together of boards musicans... but when/where, etc.

• Advertisement

It was a boards beer with bands from boards. Doing runs helps with picking aswell. It helps relieve the tension and monotony.

Oh and I never ever ever ever practiced speeding up, I could just always do it at that speed. My stamina is better than before though. Chalk it up to Barcelona 92 on the Megadrive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You have just incurred my intense hatred. :p

All you need is love.

Oh ****, that's 260 not 230. Sorry :<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I tried it last night and managed a minute at 260!

All thems years in college have finally paid off hahaha

Fusion

I'm not sure if my metronome goes to 260!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I can get 160 if I'm warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Jesus that's fast. Are you playin a sequence like a chromatic at that speed or just hitting an open string? When i say chromatic i mean say 1,2,3,4 pattern per string.

Well I changed it around in my sample. Wouldn't make a different really unless it was a lot of string skipping. It tends to sound muck though as you are straining too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

i think the chromatic 1234 sequence starting on the low e then onto the A string and so on up to the high E then to the next fret and so on up to the 12th fret is a more realistic representation of speed ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i don't know and don't particularly care. But that's just me i guess.

I got the pm'd open D to 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i dont really care either :-) but to answer the Question... Fast enough :cool:

You just think you're too cool not to care, but you're not. Too cool not to care, or eh, care not?

Next up. How fast can you dance the macarena.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Exactly

Well, I've just managed to go up to 160bpm this morning without it falling apart. I attempted 168, but it got sloppy. I'm going to give it another go in a bit, I'm sure I can push myself harder. If Giblet can do 260, then at least it's humanly possible.

Interestingly though, I've always played with my pinky resting on the body of the guitar, my hand 'anchored' as it were. I've tried to stop doing that before and it just wasn't working for me, but very recently I've managed to completely break of that habit, the improvement is unreal! I used to be struggly doing anything past 120bpm, and that was only a few weeks ago. It's strange, but I even find I have a much better grip on my pick now.

I've actually managed to push myself to 184! :eek:

It can be a serious struggle to keep up, but I've managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Interestingly though, I've always played with my pinky resting on the body of the guitar, my hand 'anchored' as it were.

I do that too, but it doesn't really seem to get in the way of my picking. It's off the body when I strum, and when I'm picking the lower strings I usually kinda grip the high E with it. What exactly do you do with it now? I think mine would feel weird if it was just floating about . . .

Back on topic, about 160 BPM, I can do a consistent rhythm a lot faster, but there's no real accurracy because I move most of my arm for that, whereas I use just my wrist for the normal picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I will do this. I'd bet I can hit about 200 with just down strokes !

• Advertisement

Maybe at 1/8th notes :>

Advertisement