Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test + Warning Light...

Options
  • 08-08-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Anyone had experience regarding this sort of situation? I am going to be taking my test in Churchtown relatively soon and at times.. kind of inconsistenly and rarely after I have been driving a while (happens more when I have just started) but the handbreak sign will come on when I am driving.

This happened to anyone, something similar? and it results in the test being abandoned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭slowhands

as far as i know thats a fail,if there are any warning lights at all on the car the tester will abandon the test,happened a buddy of mine when his airbag light went on.Get it checked out it might just be something small causing it,or else try using your driving instructors car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I don't think the tester will look at your instrument panel as part of the pre-test check, but he may happen to catch a glance while you are driving. I would say if he sees the light you will probably forfeit your test.
    They are quite fussy about those things. I had to leave before doing my test on two occasion because of faulty light bulbs. Be sure to check those, and make sure your indicators flash amber, not white. That got me once!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You could remove the bulb from the parking brake light for the duration of the test. (Probably easier to get it checked out though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check your brake fluid level. The handbrake light usually comes on when the brake fluid level is low. If the level is low then simply top it up with the correct brake fluid and all should be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

Hey Guys,

Anyone had experience regarding this sort of situation? I am going to be taking my test in Churchtown relatively soon and at times.. kind of inconsistenly and rarely after I have been driving a while (happens more when I have just started) but the handbreak sign will come on when I am driving.

This happened to anyone, something similar? and it results in the test being abandoned?

is it an opel corsa you have ...out of curiosity ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Happened a mate- get the brakes checked - might need new pads. Should be a real quick job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭fletch

Same happened me before...topped up the brake fluid level and it was all sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Thanks for the replys lads.

Had it looked at by a mate last night... break fluid is at its min level so will get that topped up, he also said the break pads were at a min too, not a dangerous min but may need to get done.. will be putting break fluid in this evening, if the light keeps popping up will get new pads put in tomorrow - test on friday! - all suggestions here, cracking board!

tis a toyota corolla for the person who asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By the way, you need to be able to check the brake fluid levels yourself for the test. It's something the tester will ask you to do. You'll also need to know how to check the other fluid levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Dont be tempted to fill the brtake fluid to the top. When you put in new pads it will spill out of the resevoir and can damage the surrounding paintwork. Just put enough in to keep the light off and buy some pads !

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips again - am up on the under the bonnet check for the test... just didn't actually check the level of the break fluid... silly i know!

Getting some break fluid tonight.. wont fill it up to the top, thanks MercMad as I am getting new pads fitted tonight as well.

Fingers crossed this should work and the light will stop coming up, If I drive badly and fail the test fair enough but I'd go really mental if the test was cancelled due to an issue like this!!

edit - an issue that should be solveable if you get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

don't top up the brake fluid until after the pads are fitted, the new pads will push the level up

Onkle51 wrote:
    don't top up the brake fluid until after the pads are fitted, the new pads will push the level up
    Correct - fluid should return to a normal level after the new pads are fitted. If you top up before replacing the pads then you will have too much fluid and you will have to remove some as the level will be over the max.

again thanks to all... got the break pads done, break fluid did return to normal level no need for the top up.

warning light has ceased to pop up thank god. did the test just there and passed!!! well chuffed

no doubt if i hadn't had taken some action there would probably have failed the test due to the light. thanks lads

did the test just there and passed!!! well chuffed

Hey, congrats on passing the test!!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Congrats!

Something like that happened to me on my test. The airbag light kept coming on a while before my test. I got it checked and "fixed" a couple of times, but it kept coming back on. Got it fixed just before my test. I was driving home after my test and it came on. close one :cool:

Advertisement