Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a warning about Dell(If ya didnt already know :P)

Options
  • 08-08-2006 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have to say, I've had the worst time with Dell in the past week then i have had with anyone else in my time buying computers/laptops.

I decided to buy the Inspiron 1300 on
    512RAM
    1.60Ghz Celeron M
    DVD Burner
    15.4" Widescreen

It came to €549 which is the cheapest you'll get in my opinion.

Everything was going smoothly until the sales rep screwed up my order and was trying to give me
    256RAM
    1.50 GHz Celeron M
    CD burner
    14" Screen

It took 4 hours on the phone to this rep to get her to fix it(I actually had to argue with the woman to give me what i ordered) so she finally fixed the order and resent my Order Acknowledgement...which was still wrong, only this time she was trying to give me the wrong battery that i ordered with the laptop...it took another hour for her to fix that mistake.

So after that disgrace she told me that it would be delivered on 8/8/06 which is today, i rang customer support this morning to confirm that my order was being sent today, which was right according to the guy i had on the phone, 5 hours later im still waiting so i decide to ring customer support again to find out whats the delay. This time i get a new woman telling me that since it was a bank holiday yesturday theres a good chance my order wont get here till NEXT WEEK! like wtf. I told her if it doesnt come today ill be complaining. So they have another few hours before that happens.

The reason I'm telling all of you this is for one simple reason

If your planning on buying anything from Dell, I'd strongly advise against it, as I've read some other horror stories about them and now you all have this one to add to the tally. So just be wary and pick somewhere else to spend your money.

::EDIT::
    Just got off the phone now from Dell, even though Dells Order Status page told me that the delivery was delivered to Interlinks Dublin Depot last friday, apparently its still in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sounds like the sales assistant was having an off day...why not just go through the wesbite and cut out talking to the trained monkeys on the other end of the phone?Deliverys always take a while - we're always told 10 working days from order date...as for guestimating the delivery date like the sales rep did?! come on! how long is a piece of string!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well,
    I've said it before and I will probably say it again.
    I have purchased many many machines direct from Dell on the website, mostly for friends/family and havent had any problems at all.
    I'd say about 25 machines in all, and when using Dell at work the failure rate of the machines was pretty small considering the amount that we purchased.
    The slowest delivery was two weeks, the fastest was within three days-all received as on the order.
    That said, I know there are issues.
    Perhaps the sales person had a bad day as mentioned already-but considering the amount of machines Dell ship there are bound to be a few mistakes-it is a pity it took so long to recitify the one that was made in your instance but I suppose these things happen.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

I'd usually agree with you saying that the sales rep had a bad day but this went over two days and since last post 5 different reps and they all have lied and generally not been able to speak english very well. I bought my Desktop from Dell and it was a dream, no problems and took roughly two weeks to get here.

The reason I ordered over the phone is because I was told that delivery times are faster if ordered over the phone rather then through their website.(i wont be making that mistake again)

I was just very disappointed in the level or service that Dell gave me over the phone. In the end it was a guy in the Interlink office who gave me a straight answer which was eventually backed up by a dell rep who apologised for the problem. I have to be honest, if i did know my way with computers I probably wouldnt have noticed those mistakes until it was deliverd to my door lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The reason I ordered over the phone is because I was told that delivery times are faster if ordered over the phone rather then through their website.(i wont be making that mistake again)
    Don't believe this to be true. I'd go website everytime. Much easier to see what your getting and to have a chance to google things up or try different specs.

irlrobins wrote:
    Don't believe this to be true. I'd go website everytime. Much easier to see what your getting and to have a chance to google things up or try different specs.

I was only going on what i was told by friends and by the guy i originally talked to from Dell, like i said tho, i wont be making the same mistakes again, planning on building my next PC myself so.

If you get someone from Dell called Surabhi just hang up and do yourselfs a favor :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭hargo

I configure the order on the site, work out best price and then ring sales to get discount. There is always a discount.

hargo wrote:
    I configure the order on the site, work out best price and then ring sales to get discount. There is always a discount.

LOL yeah i ended up getting a discount from all the probs i was caused with my order, so on one side it worked out, but on the other, i would glady pay a bit more for better service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Only on mid to high end stuff. The cheap stuff (like the laptop above) is discounted as far as they can go.

Advertisement