Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a laptop with a 4/5 hour battery life (€1000)

Options
  • 08-08-2006 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I've been looking at Acer laptops recently and in particular this one:

http://www.pcsmart.ie/product.php?intProductID=759

Thing is, the battery life is only 2.5 hours, and I just don't see the point in buying a laptop when you'll only be able to use it outside of the house for that long.

So does anyone know of any laptops with a similar spec but better battery life?

Regards,
    x.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've a Asus M6Va, no fancy Dual Core cpu. I can get over 4hrs of with a bit of tweaking with Notebook Hardware Control, screen light low enough, wifi on, cpu and gpu clocked down and browsing the net. Cad takes a few mins of the time and playing music about 20mins or so.

I personally wouldnt go for a acer, from quality problems ive hear of and a class mate who had his screen mess up. All thi is a while ago and acer could have gotten their act together at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Unfortunately OP, trying to keep the battery life healthy is difficult enough with Li-Ion. What jozi said makes sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

With many laptops you can add an extended battery which is substantially bigger/heavier but also adds substantial battery life. For example the Dell Inspiron 640m has an extended 80 WHr battery option that Dell claims to provide "up to" 8h32 battery life. An independent review suggested 4 hours DVD watching or a little over 8 hours "productivity" on the extended battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

mabey have a look at the Sansung Q35.

http://s90663264.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1544db15aba1b20/shopdata/Samsung/Samsung+Laptops/Ultra+Mobile/Q35+Series/samsung_overview.shopscript

Its a few quid over the the 1000 euro but its a lovely machine. Thinking of getting one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Just remembered this:

The choice of Harddisk is going to affect battery life as well, a 5400rpm drive will use less juice than a faster 7200rpm drive will.

I just stuck a 7200rpm into my laptop, fisrt impression is that it took about 30 maybe more mins of my bat life. I havent used or have use for the laptop over the summer so i dont use it. This 30min drop could just be because ive only really booted into windows and installed drivers and shut down again not really giving me a good indication.

7200rpm drives should give faster boot times and load times, althou i didnt think it was to bad with the 5400rpm drive to begin with.

Samsung make good lightweight laptops to the above seems to have decent spec, little bit out of the loop with laptop h/w.

Jozi

• Advertisement
Advertisement