Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Osram Silverstar vs Phillips Vision

Options
  • 08-08-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I'm going to upgrade the headlight bulbs on my Peugeot 607.

Which is better and what should I be looking out for when chosing a bulb?

Osram Silverstars

or

Phillips Blue Vision or Vision Plus.

I'm not interested in any blue look non-sense, I just want better light.

Opinions and experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I'd say rule out the blue vision. I had to make the same vision plus vs silverstar decision, and went for the Osram over the Philipps because I found them cheaper.

Found them better than standard - how much I don't know, hard to judge these things scientifically! Lifetime seemed good too, even though I would often leave my low beams on during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The Osrams seem well priced alright. Although the Phillips Vision Plus have faired out well in product tests (see Autoexpress).

Did you change the full beam bulb aswell or was it just low beams you changed?

Worth the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

AlanD wrote:
    Did you change the full beam bulb aswell or was it just low beams you changed?
    Worth the change?

Changed both, was happy enough, noticeably better but hard to quantify. Worth the change - if they cost x times a normal bulb, were they x times better? No, they weren't that good, but my attitude is why penny pinch on something like lights, which we'll be using almost constantly in a few months time?

I've just ordered a set of Phillips Vision Plus for the low beams. If they work out, I'll change the high beams too. I do a lot of night driving and extra light would be great to have.

The next car will have xenons or preferrably bi-xenons.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got the Philips Vision Plus in my Focus C-Max for both dipped and main beams, and the difference certainly is noticeable, whatever the detractors may say. Got mine from powerbulbs.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

*COUGH* again see my suggestion . the 4,300k ones are absolutely amazing (3,100 lumens!!!) I have bought a pair on my car , they are excellent and definitely worth it

If your saying things like 'cargrouch' > "why penny pinch on something like lights" then why not buy these and go all the way and buy something proper if youre looking to upgrade ... not some stupid marketing ploy bulbs .... "new & improved 100% satisfaction wow wa weewa" etc etc

I had looked at those kits alright but the cost was putting me off. Although seeing them in action would convince me I'm sure.

Were they much of a chore to fit? I believe they are straight foward enough and you only need to find somewhere to fit the balast. Do you make do with your manual headlamp adjustment then and keep the lenses clean manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i have changed my bulbs to oscram and they look nice and are cheap.

anyone know of an online shop in Ireland that sells Osrams/Vision Plus bulbs so I don't have to wait for them to be posted from the UK?

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

i think powerbulbs.co.uk is your only bet. They do worldwide delivery.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

AlanD wrote:
    anyone know of an online shop in Ireland that sells Osrams/Vision Plus bulbs so I don't have to wait for them to be posted from the UK?

A

Suped.ie do both AFAIK . I got the osram and they are very good !

Advertisement