Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book??

Options
  • 07-08-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

My friend has always toyed with the idea of writing a novel, its her birthday soon and i was wondering can anyone suggest a good book to help her get started that i could buy her, like 'how to start writing a book' type thing?? There is loads on say play.com but i would rather someone recommend one. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I've heard lots of good things about Stephen King's "On Writing", though I've never actually read it myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Or perhaps a subscription to Writer's Digest? It's very current, and she gets 12 presents (one each month) that are informative. Another, Poets & Writers. Maybe go to a book store and check out the creative writing magazines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hemingway

you,re best chance at any immediate time scale would be to get a book from the reference section of any book store.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I know quite a few people who have used Julia Camerons The Artists Way and who have gotten results from it e.g. got something finished and produced (it deals with all sorts of creativity). It is good on discipline and getting going.

Advertisement