Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Flight @ Stansted

• 07-08-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Does anybody forsee a problem with this scenario as im not too familiar with Stanstead Airport.

I Plan on travelling dublin-stanstead (depart 6.25 arrive 7.45) and hope to connect with a flight on to Rome which departs stansted at 8.45 (I know i could fly direct but the times dont suit). I will only have hand luggage so no baggage reclaim issues, I also plan to checkin online so will avoid the checkin queues. Is 1 hour enough time to get to the boarding gate ???? (well half an hr if you go by ryanairs policy of being at gate 30 mins before departure but they seldom board this early).

Would i have to exit the arrivals hall and re-enter at departures going through security check, or could i got straight to the departure gate (im assuming i cant do this as im sure the online check in card has to be scanned at security)? does anyone knw the distance betwen arrivals and departures and what the queues at security check in stansted is like???

Im not familiar with this airport so any ideas would be great

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You should have just enough time but the check in desks for Ryanair at Stansted are pretty strict. Afaik they close about 40 minutes before the flight time. You enter the arrivals and just pass the food court when you exit, the Ryanair desks are not very far away from there if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

alanceltic wrote:

Would i have to exit the arrivals hall and re-enter at departures going through security check, or could i got straight to the departure gate (im assuming i cant do this as im sure the online check in card has to be scanned at security)? does anyone knw the distance betwen arrivals and departures and what the queues at security check in stansted is like???

You're cutting it tight TBH.

Assuming the flight leaves Dublin on time, its a 55 minute journey to Stansted, give or take a few minutes. Allowing for time to get on stand, it can take up to 10 minutes to get from the gate to the baggage hall. You can take it you won't get through arrivals until 7:45, and thats with everything going to plan.

Its a quick stroll from arrivals to the passenger screening area, but I've seen queues of up to 25 minutes there in the past. Once through, depending on the gate for departure you could be facing another 10-15 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You're cutting it tight TBH.

Indeed. Plus if you miss that second flight (which is a seperate flight, for all intents and purposes - don't think of it as a connecting flight, which Ryanair don't do), Ryanair will most likely make a lot of money out of you for a new tickey on their next available flight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think you've enough time to do it.

I've never been on a Ryanair flight that wasn't delayed.

Is there an earlier one from Dublin you could get?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

There isnt an earlier flight out of dublin the 6.45 is their first on the schedule, im banking on the fact that this wont be delayed as the plane will be on the ground ready to go as its not reliant on an incoming flight (thats my flawed logic anyway). On getting to the ryanair desk after arriving this wont be an issue as I will already be checked in using their online facility so by reckoning if I arrive at 7.45 I have 30 mins to get thru the security check (where my online pass is scanned)..... Im very tempted to take a chance because i dont have bags, im already checked in and theres a v good chance the plane will depart dublin on time (this is the only bit which i think can trip me up). Im going to a wedding so need to be in rome before 2 oclock, the alternative is pay about 350 quid for an aerlingus flight and im trying to keep costs down!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

alanceltic wrote:
    There isnt an earlier flight out of dublin the 6.45 is their first on the schedule, im banking on the fact that this wont be delayed as the plane will be on the ground ready to go as its not reliant on an incoming flight (thats my flawed logic anyway).

Thats flawed logic alright. The aircraft could be delayed by one or a combination of the following:

1. Late arrival of passengers for the DUB-STN flight, especially if the gate is in the new temporary boarding area which is about a 15 minute walk from security.
    2. ATC restrictions for departures out of Dublin.
    3. ATC restrictions for UK airspace enroute to STN.
    4. ATC restrictions due to runway capacity at STN.
    5. Holding at STN due to capacity.

And thats ignoring problems caused by weather (fog for example)

The 6:25 listed time of departure is the time the a/c is supposed to close doors, not the airborne time. Expect to be airborne any time up to 6:50 and thats without any real delay.

Once at Stansted, you can face up to 30 minutes queeing to get through security alone, then another 15 minutes before you reach your gate.
    Im very tempted to take a chance because i dont have bags

And because you don't have bags, there's no incentive for Ryanair to wait for you if you are late (if you'd checked bags on to the flight they would have to off load them, which takes time...they prefer waiting to see if you arrive before going to the effort)

By all means take your chances, but IMO you'll be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Well, did you make it?

I have 2 hours between landing/take off in Stansted on Friday, and I think I'm cutting it fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

even if u only have hand luggage, it will have to be the size of a laptop case or smaller, otherwise under the UK security hand luggage rules, it will have to go in the hold.

You will be lucky to make it.

Advertisement