Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gretna versus Derry City Odds - LIVE Thursday Setanta

Options
  • 07-08-2006 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Derry City are playing Gretna from Scotland in Fir Park on Thursday.

The match is live on Setanta Sports.

ODDS:

PP give Gretna 8/11 and Derry 9/2. I thought Derry would be favs for both legs :confused:

Derry 9/2 on Betfair. What are people's vies. Drogs around 6/1 against IK Start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

finnpark wrote:
    Derry City are playing Gretna from Scotland in Fir Park on Thursday.

The match is live on Setanta Sports.

ODDS:

PP give Gretna 8/11 and Derry 9/2. I thought Derry would be favs for both legs :confused:

Derry 9/2 on Betfair. What are people's vies. Drogs around 6/1 against IK Start.

I think Derry will go out a bit between now and kick off. The money from the European punters will come for this fixture on the day of the game, and most of them will be more aware of Gretna than Derry. Maybe not, maybe it would be worth taking the 9/2 now, but I can see Derry being bigger than 5.50 come Thursday evening.

Not sure Derry should be favourites for both legs mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Bateman wrote:
    Not sure Derry should be favourites for both legs mind.

Gretna will win both legs and are justified favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

I backed Derry at 9/2, they are currently around 7/2, hopefully I will get to lay them off a bit lower. :)

westtip wrote:
    Gretna will win both legs and are justified favourites

Stop talking s*it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Behave yourself.

finnpark wrote:
    Stop talking s*it

Within reason I will say what I want and expect not to get this kind of comment about a post, which is clearly offensive. IMO Gretna will win both legs, the fact my opinion is not shared with your goodself is neither here nor there for me, in fact I think they are a great price for the home leg. Really I don't care what the result is, I don't get emotional about football results - I see the outcome of football matches purely as an opportunity to make a second income, which I have been doing for about three years. You think my opinion is wrong, live with it. Frankly my dear I don't give a dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You seem to be ignoring the performances Derry put in during both legs against IFK Gothenburg.

While its impossible to ignore the progress of Gretna over the last few years, I think that their price of 8/11 on PaddyPower is too short. Derry are availble at 9/2 on William Hill which is I think is a good price based on their previous form in the earlier round.

Edit: Nearly forgot. Gretna have to play this at Fir Park as their own stadium does not meet UEFA requirements for the match.

Mezcita wrote:
    You seem to be ignoring the performances Derry put in during both legs against IFK Gothenburg.

While its impossible to ignore the progress of Gretna over the last few years, I think that their price of 8/11 on PaddyPower is too short. Derry are availble at 9/2 on William Hill which is I think is a good price based on their previous form in the earlier round.

Edit: Nearly forgot. Gretna have to play this at Fir Park as their own stadium does not meet UEFA requirements for the match.

Yes there may be great value to be had in Derry @ 9/2. I just don't think they will win and I think the price of 1.72 with PP is more than fair, it would be around 1.50 if I were pricing it up - it is 1.76 pre comms on Betfair, about the same price as PP, so if you think it is too short I suggest you get onto Betfair and lay a bit - the average price, by the way is 1.65 - see betbrain.com, so if anything the PP price is out of line with all the other bookies (I think bluesquare are offering the same - the rest are shorter) The performance against IFK was good - but Derry rode their luck in the second leg, the game could have gone the other way. I might be completely wrong - and as I said above I don't give a dam, I don't think it is a game I shall have a bet in, because I don't have too, but I do think Gretna will win. Tell me I am wrong after the event, it makes no difference to me one way or t'other.

As far as I heard Derry should have bet them 2 to 3 0 in Sweden, dissappointing to come away with just a 1-0 min. While at home Gothenburg didn't attack at all. So I wonder where your source got that from.

Anyway, Gretna are playing both legs away from home and are still essentially pre-seson.

Its hard to compare both leagues. Gareth Gethins was a regular scorer for Ross County overthere but has failed to make it really in 1st division in Ireland. Breandan McGill of Gretna would not make Derry team I think. The rest I know very little about but don't be surprised if Gretna dont win both leg. I think it will be very close and a bad game to bet on but Derry are overpriced at 9/2.

Anyone know if there is inplay betting on this one?

• Advertisement

finnpark wrote:
    As far as I heard Derry should have bet them 2 to 3 0 in Sweden, dissappointing to come away with just a 1-0 min. While at home Gothenburg didn't attack at all. So I wonder where your source got that from.

Anyone know if there is inplay betting on this one?

report in the Indo from unison.ie

"Stephen Kenny's men - who hit the post in the second half - were somewhat fortunate to escape with the victory as goalkeeper David Forde was called upon to make two crucial saves late on."

If the game is live on satelite TV setanta in all liklihood betfair will have an in play market - check their IP matches upcoming on the website 3-0 to Gretna is 12/1 if you are interested.....perhaps not eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

[QUOTE=finnparkAnyone know if there is inplay betting on this one?[/QUOTE]

Stan James
    will be betting in-running. They are 4/1 on Derry at the moment. I don't know enough about Gretna to be betting on this game, I'll wait till the 2nd leg I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gretna have drifted out to 1.99 now. The 1.79 2 days before the game doesn't look such a great price now, not that it did before anyway.

Bateman wrote:
    Gretna have drifted out to 1.99 now. The 1.79 2 days before the game doesn't look such a great price now, not that it did before anyway.
    the near even money for Gretna now looks very tempting - in fact I think I will have a bit of that.

with an 18 month old cutting teeth and not well - fortunately I had to leave this alone and did not get to Betfair in time by the time I realised I missed the bet the game was on and I checked the score ......... hey sometimes in this game we get it wrong, sometimes badly wrong and sometimes well ... less said.

Hope you had the house on it finnpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Humble Pie for westtip, pat on the back for FinnPark and the legends of the Brandywell :)

I backed Derry on the Asian Hcap in-running at 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Great result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Got them at 9/2 on Monday and 7/2 at Boyles today.:D

The price was too big:D (I know, easy to say now)

They were 22/1 on Betfair at one stage and 4/1 at half time. :eek:

Calling Westtip Calling Westtip

It was a pleasure doing business with you. I presume this was Gretna's 3rd team? :confused: . It should have been 10 1.

Its bad enough being a sore loser finnpark, but being a sore winner is even worse.

I am fairly sure you have gotten predictions wrong yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Fairly sure?

haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got Derry @ 4-1 and 5-1 honestly cant believe anyone who posts on an irish message board bet against Derry.

Expected Derry to hit 3 but not 5.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Gretna are a fairly decent outfit. I think the people who bet against them are people who haven't seen Derry much this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bugger. Pighead was gonna have a wee bet on Derry here but was put off by some of the comments I read yesterday.
    finnpark wrote:
    Gretna won their first match of the season 6-0 :eek: yesterday against Hamilton to go top.

A tough tie for Derry as they seem like a real improving side. Hard to predict how this one goes.
    finnpark wrote:
    Prediction 1-1 draw.

Game is live on Setanta Sports tonight.
    finnpark wrote:
    Derry have a number of injury concerns.
    finnpark wrote:
    Its very hard to win away from home. Its a pity Paddy McCourt is out.
    finnpark wrote:
    The rest I know very little about but don't be surprised if Gretna dont win both leg. I think it will be very close and a bad game to bet on but Derry are overpriced at 9/2.

Ah well ya live and learn.

Its bad enough being a sore loser finnpark, but being a sore winner is even worse.

I am fairly sure you have gotten predictions wrong yourself.

Chucky exactly - and I think in an earlier post I had commented on my error of judgement, it was as if the poor boy had had the bet with me, he hadn't and as long as I am not the loser (I ended up not having a bet in the match) I am happy to see anyone win, and of course I would prefer to see an Irish team win over another in the European competitions. From a betting perspective it means Gretna will be concentrating on getting into the SPL and winning Scot 1 - another good thing for my book. I was genuinely surprised by the result, but who gives a dam, I don't.

I do believe one the most important thing in betting is to analyse mistakes - and not to repeat them, and actually, what I think this result does confirm is how the switch to the summer league has given the Eircom teams a big advantage in these qualifying stages of the uefa and CL competitions against the teams in other second rate leagues around Europe (and there are some crap football leagues out there). The competitive match fitness the irish teams now have in July/August is quite a significant edge. I think we should all put a little reminder in our schedules to take a careful note of who the irish teams are playing in the early stages of these competitions next year. Good luck to Derry in the next round, of course the hurdles get bigger now and they coudl draw a team from one of the premier leagues, but I hope they make it to the group stages as it will give us plenty of opportunities to bet against them.....................er perhaps I shouldn't have said that.

Overpriced at 9/2 , had to take for a small amount. Don't back soccer much but the odds were ridiculous.

Well done Derry, and thanks for the handy money. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

finnpark wrote:
    They were 22/1 on Betfair at one stage and 4/1 at half time. :eek:

Calling Westtip Calling Westtip

It was a pleasure doing business with you. I presume this was Gretna's 3rd team? :confused: . It should have been 10 1.

Dermott, you can be an awful tit sometimes. You would think by now, after being banned from countless gambling forums throughout the internet that you would have some cop on to know how to compose yourself. I guess that's asking for too much.

sjones wrote:
    Dermott, you can be an awful tit sometimes. You would think by now, after being banned from countless gambling forums throughout the internet that you would have some cop on to know how to compose yourself. I guess that's asking for too much.

Mods take action or I will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

finnpark wrote:
    Mods take action or I will

What?

Advertisement