Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Fun Room" ideas - what to do with our spare room....

Options
  • 06-08-2006 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey all!

Just got 4bed apartment sorted for '06-'07 and we've got a strange EMPTY ROOM!! It hasn't got a window so it wouldn't be very nice as a bedroom. It's a blank canvas. So....we're looking for some ideas for our spare room!!

We've a few creative student-friendly ideas in mind but i'll not hinder your creative mindflow with them just yet!....

Ok....HIT ME!!

:rolleyes:

Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I'll get the dimensions of the room and post them up! I think it's about 2m x 3m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

chill out room defo..ohh i would love that room.
    my chill out room is the spare bedroom in my own house.. if i wasnt renting i'd do so much more. even now i have as multi sensory as i can make it. relaxing oils buring..bergamot my fav.. lights dimmed, salt lamp.. comfy bed.
    oh and the massage table if anyone ever fancies a massage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Just use it as a skip. You'll never have to clean up - just fire everything in there and lock the door.!

KAPOW!

Great idea.

I've now moved into the house and what do ya know....the room does have a window! Nothing huge but it's a small velux job. I'm liking the chillout room idea. We were maybe thinking about getting a couch and a second hand data-projector.... using one wall as the screen and hooking up the playstation or making a mini (2 seater!!) cinema! Depends how cheap a man could source a data projector for these days though.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What about getting a telescope, and making a mini-observatory out of it??

Yes a very good idea indeed and I would be interested but....we're students! So anyone with a spare/cheap/FREE data-projector or telescope...HI!! "Call me!" ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Put a bed in it and rent it as a single room... cheaper rent.

Put a bed in it and have it as a spare room for when people crash.

Black out all windows etc and use it as a room for "relaxing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jyanich

Hey - i need a place to live for 2 months.... if you are near St james hospital - that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jyanich

hey dont worry - i have found a place to live - but thats a good idea to make it a spare room for someone to crash in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

get a sex swing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OneStepMore

Hmmm, renting it out would be the most functional.
    But that's not what this thread is about surely!
    It's windowless, so it would make an ideal dungeon. Then you could rent it out to dodgy video makers, and you'd get a noticable reputation around campus too.
    Or make it a memories room, everytime you get something slightly iconic of your times (ticketstubs, lipstick stained starbucks cup, items vomited on during memorable benders...) throw it in there and 4 years later come back, have a good look through it and have the most nostalgic afternoon ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

throw in a couple of sofas, if they fit, or beanbags and coushins, a bit of mood lighting, and youve got...

>'smoking' room
    >opium den
    >or as someone i know had, because one of thier flatmates didnt ageree with sex before marrige, a 'mutual masturbation' room

i suppose stick in a playstation aswell, and some trippy posters on the walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

you could call it the flour room, just have lots of bags of flour in it.

you could call it the flour room, just have lots of bags of flour in it.

Oh i'm liking that one....:rolleyes:

We have decided on...... (drumroll)..... a micro-brewery!! Getting the gear delivered this week! I'll update the post with pictures... and eventually drunked photos! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

- Meth Lab
    - Coke Lab
    - Daycare room
    - Can you swing a monkey in it? Perfect! Monkey-swinging room
    - Did I say meth lab?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

How about just calling it the Cracker Factory and letting nature take its course....

On the other hand you could make a Billard Room and then hold 'Cluedo' nights, im not saying you have to murder your guests to make your parties a success, but if it came to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

Baby4 wrote:

The OP said they're got an apartment sorted for '06-'07 so I think its a given that they don't actually own the apartment, so it would be up to the landlord if a new window is fitted or not.

Any revonations, including painting the walls, would have to be put by the landlord first. If you do renovations w/o permission, even if the landlord is perfectly happy with the renovations, they could still turn around and sue you because you didn't ask permission or at the very least refuse to return the deposit.

If you have the cash splash out on one of those Buddha bean bags from that shop near Jervis street Luas station. Its around the corner from Spar, down the lane with all the Italian restaurants that leads to the river
    Inflatable plastic furniture.

You say you've got a few creative ideas in mind, are you in a creative course? Like art, fashion or graphic design? If so, you could turn the room into a studio

Want something really interesting, you could get some pet reptiles* and turn the spare room into a reptile room with tanks lining the walls. Of course, you'll also have space for other stuff like the above-mentioned bean bag

*If the contract states 'no pets' then ask the landlord if you can have reptiles because a lot of landlords consider 'no pets' to mean 'no cats and dogs'.
    If there's nothing on the contract about pets then move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

chat2joe wrote:
    Yes a very good idea indeed and I would be interested but....we're students! So anyone with a spare/cheap/FREE data-projector or telescope...HI!! "Call me!" ;)

Just noticed that the thread is from last year, but for any stargazing minded people, Argos do some cheap telescopes

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

this thread died a year ago, why are you posting?

f*cking hate bumpers :mad:

Advertisement