Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish citizenship for EU national

Options
  • 06-08-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all,

I'd like to clarify something, hope find some help here.

Subject: EU national wants to be an Irish citizen.

Information:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/migration_and_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html:
    Paragraph:
    Who is eligible for naturalisation?
    [...]
    Have had a period of one year's continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and, during the eight years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State amounting to four years. To find out what reckonable residence is, see the section below on calculation of periods of residence

[...]

So let's follow the section:
    [...]
    What is "reckonable residence"?
    "Reckonable residence" encompasses periods of residence taken into account when examining an application for naturalisation. Certain periods of residence may be excluded from the reckoning when calculating periods of residence in the State. These are periods when your presence in the State was not properly documented or (in certain cases) periods covered by a permission to remain that was for study purposes (i.e. you were on a student visa) or while having a claim for asylum examined.
    [...]

Let's move on...
    [...]
    Reckonable residence for EU/European Economic Area (EEA) nationals (other than UK citizens)
    If you are a citizen of an EU Member State (other than the UK) or a citizen of Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, any period for which you did not hold a residence permit or document granted under the European Communities (Aliens) Regulations 1977 or the European Communities (Right of Residence for Non-Economically Active Persons) Regulations 1997 will not be considered a period of reckonable residence. All of the time that a UK citizen has spent in the State is reckonable for naturalisation purposes as UK citizens are not required to have residence permits or documents under the Regulations.

I've been living in Ireland since 01.01.2005 having a permanent employment contract as my prove of my permanent residence. According to the above it's not enough. I need to get the Permanent Residence Certificate from the Minister for Justice.

Am I correct here?

thanks for all replies!
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please note this board is for legal discussion, not legal advice.

I think what you need to do is have official record of your residence - but it seems you need at least 4 years. You have only been here 1.5 years.

I don't know what official records are needed, but I understnad that strictly speaking EU citizens are meant to register if they become resident.

Talk to the GNIB on Burgh Quay or a solicitor.

Advertisement