Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1300 Notebook

Options
  • 06-08-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Would aprreciate any feedback on the suitability +/- of this laptop for running a Business Accountancy SW Package (eg Big Red Book).

Price is very low but is there a catch here? Should I spend more to get more ? Have another laptop (Tosh Sat for running all the design/slideshow graphics), so looking for another laptop to only do the number crunching aspect of my business.
    • Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
    • 256 MB 533Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    • 40 GB HD
    • 14.1" XGA screen
    • Integrated 24xCDRW/8x DVD Combo Drive
    • Dell Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless Card
    Intel Celeron M Processor 380 (160GHz, 1 Mb L2 Cache, 400 Mhz FSB)

Sales Price € 479 (incl VAT).

Thanks in advance and if there's a Beers meet, well I'll be buying a few!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sorry but can this post be moved to Computers/Laptop please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I have a 1300 with much the same spec (except mine has a DVD writer)

It's fine for all the basic home applications but for "number crunching" as you put it, I can't guess.

The key weakness of the spec is the low RAM but it's cheap to buy more from, for example, www.shop4memory.com or http://www.crucial.com/eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to Laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by number crunching but you would most likely need more memory (RAM).
    XP just about runs on 256MB's of RAM so if you want it to do anything intensive then you'll need at least 512MB's.....unless you're a patient person!

XP will eat up that 256mb of RAM pretty fast, so you'll need more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi,

appreciate the feedback. By number crunching, I mean accounts, spreadsheets etc. Not being very patient much of the time, seems I will have to expand the RAM memory. Is this straightforward to do? for example, is it possible to get a plug-in card or is it necessary to open it up to expose motherboard etc?

Normally on Dell lappys there is a little latch on the underside of the it which you open and slot in the new memory, thats pretty much it. Make sure to check what ram type goes with the laptop, in this case you are looking at getting DDR2-533 PC2-4200, 200p SODIMM.

Advertisement