Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Eircom Wireless router with NTL broadband

Options
  • 05-08-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am switching over form Eircom Broadband to NTL and would like to re-use the Eircom provided wireless router.

I have the Eircom supplied Netopia wireless router (Netopia Model 3347NWG Wireless DSL Ethernet Switch) which is configured for the eircom DSL input. NTL provide an ethernet connection rather than DSL.

I was wondering if anyone has tried re-configuring this wireless router to work with NTL broandband and how they managed to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Not possible afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 West_Coast

Got it working thanks.

I don't understand why as a moderator of this forum you posted misleading information, all you had to say was that you didn't know how to do it or had not tried to do it, rather than "not possible".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

How did you get it to work? And just cos I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just to row in behind our Beloved leader... ;)

You can't expect someone to fix every problem, if you read irlrobins post again it has 'AFAIK' on the end.
    I've not come accross anybody who has managed to get a Netopia to provide WiFi through the LAN sockets on the Modem rather than the WAN port (Foxwood you ever see this work?)

It is also tradition to post the solution if you find one so that those that come later can search and sort the problem without having to ask the same question over and over.

So, how did you 'fix' it?

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Just to row in behind our Beloved leader... ;)

You can't expect someone to fix every problem, if you read irlrobins post again it has 'AFAIK' on the end.
    I've not come accross anybody who has managed to get a Netopia to provide WiFi through the LAN sockets on the Modem rather than the WAN port (Foxwood you ever see this work?)
    I don't know enough about the equipment that NTL provides to answer this definitively. I suppose if the Netopia actually works as a "hub" rather than a switch, it could work. (A hub blindly shares all traffic, regardess of IP address, across all "ports". A switch should only direct traffic to a specific port). If you disable the DHCP server on the Netopia, then a wired client should be able to get a DHCP response from the Cable modem if both the PC and the modem are plugged into LAN ports. And I suppose if it works for a wired client, it might work for a wireless client. But it'll only support a single computer - you won't be able to connect two machines to the ADSL router and have them both get on the NTL connection.

And you won't have a NAT firewall protecting your either, so you better make sure that you've got a good firewall in place!
    It is also tradition to post the solution if you find one so that those that come later can search and sort the problem without having to ask the same question over and over.

So, how did you 'fix' it?
    I don't think that West_Coast is likely to read your message in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Oh well !our loss.... :) (I know you guys know what that means)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 surething

Can aanyone help me on this issue. I am a bit of a newbie and dont know all the technical stuff. all i have is a wireless laptop router and modem. How does the laptop pick up the signal?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

surething wrote:
    Can aanyone help me on this issue. I am a bit of a newbie and dont know all the technical stuff. all i have is a wireless laptop router and modem. How does the laptop pick up the signal?

Thanks

People will help you willingly but they are not mind readers. You need to give your internet provider -what type of router etc etc the more detail you give the more chance you have of people trying to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 anthonyj

West_Coast wrote: »
    Got it working thanks.

I don't understand why as a moderator of this forum you posted misleading information, all you had to say was that you didn't know how to do it or had not tried to do it, rather than "not possible".

How did you get it working? I am trying the same thing at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

anthonyj wrote: »
    How did you get it working? I am trying the same thing at the mo.

Disable the DHCP server in the eircom modem....

Them insert the NTl network cable into on of the 4 ports on the eircom router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oscarp

Disable the DHCP server in the eircom modem....

.[/QUOTE]

sorry for the stupid question, but what does this mean? i'm trying to do the same, ntl broadband through netopia wireless router and can't get it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

Are you actually using the wireless or do you have your PC hard wired to the router.

Surly if the DHCP is disabled you wont be able to connected wirelessly, or did you assign your devices IP addresses yourself :confused:

Presumably you only have one computer connected is that correct?

Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevboyce

Thanks for the previous tips.

I disabled the DHCP server on the Netopia as advised and this worked initially but after around 10 minutes, the internet connection was lost.

The wifi router was still connected to the laptop, just that web pages wouldn't load anymore.

So, it's almost working, any ideas for further tests to try out before I go and buy a new cable router.

thanks,
    Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

It would help if the Mods were in a position to answer questions 100% of the time. Of course, thats not possible, and I have no problem with that....but they shouldn't take, by that same token, such a pissy attitude when people post threads by accident asking questions which have already been asked. It works both ways.

Advertisement