Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Atlantis - 3x04 - Sateda [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 05-08-2006 1:39am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All the 4s - 44. What did you think of this one and how S3 is shaping up?

What Did You Think of Stargate: Atlantis - 3x04 - Sateda? 22 votes

At last Atlantis is at an Amazing Instance
    0%
    Good - A worthy sister show still
    13%
    DingChavezSparkorobnubis 3 votes
    Average - Not lightin' up my Ha'tak, but it'll do
    40%
    PugsleyMr EKevokixoyUser45701senordingdongIompairdemanmadmike18 9 votes
    Poor - Should be a Lot Better
    40%
    VenomIvanbkehoeWashoutWintersVultureis_that_soAnCapaillMorKojak 9 votes
    Awful - Why. Whhhhyyyyy.
    4%
    thelordofcheese 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not a bad episode overall that gives some backstory to Ronan but personaly I will always see him as a poor man's Teal'c clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heh agree with Venom, don't know why but i just don't like Ronan. Alrite episode. Atlantis does'nt seem as good anymore, i just don't see the wraith as the threat they were in the 1st series and the start of the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The constant comments about the wraith sucking ass as worthy bad guys seems to have reached the ears of the writers so some serious bad ass mofos are being introduced this season :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I actually liked this one - enjoyed the whole John-Woo Ronan moments and thought it was a half-decent attempt at characterisation. Even the cinemtography was at least a little different and more innovative than normal, even if we had the uber-cheese slo-mo moment.

McKay was gold as ever - loved his Rambo comment. Good humour also in wondering how they tell the planets apart (although not as sharp as similiar comments made in SG1's "Heroes").

Tey-lo was as pointless as ever but the rest, who were present, were fairly decent.

Sure it was ultimately filler but I thought it good filler and kept me interested.

Oh and yes, the Wraith kinda suck as an over-all enemy but I've gotten used to it by now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

very good episode,

it had some good moments and some funny ones aswell with makay and shepperd with the counting the kills he made

and it did show some story of ronan

and i dont know why people dont like him

when he got angry he kicked the wraiths ass

very well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Also aggree with Venom "poor man's Teal'c" and the reason i don't like him as opposed to Teal'c he has nothing to fight for bar anger. No family or people to fight for. Rambo had more personality, hollow shell, boy band version of Teal'c, style but no substance, i just plain don't like him.
    Humor was good, makay and shepperd great stuff. Teyla i don't like but she is necessary she can steer the conversation to area's the others actors could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also not the world's greatest actor but was just about tolerable in a simple linear storyline which was bereft of the shoehorning that SG-1 is engaged in. Episode was OK for what it was. Let's all get together and hug. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Above average episode for me. At the start, I thought "Oh god.... another boring 'meet the villagers' episode", but they kicked it up a notch.

Some of the editing and cinematography was great too (nice lighting in the flashbacks, and I really liked the deliberately choppy editing).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

TBH im happy with the way it is yes it could be better yes ronan is a telc clone but telc is just a clone of someone elce its hard to write a brand new chactor that dosent resemble anyone elce

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Translation:

"TBH I'm happy with the way it is. Yes it could be better. Yes, Ronon is a Teal'c clone but Teal'c is just a clone of someone else - its hard to write a brand new character that doesn't resemble anyone else."

Punctuation, spelling, case and sentences are your friends. Sorry. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Good - A worthy sister show still
    In all fairness if they want to show the Wraith to be a more powerful enemy, we need to SEE them destroy whole planets, kill humans as they set flame to planets...

They are fairly alright, but im not convinced of their threat to Earth, they need to introduce a new aspect to the wraith rather than them gettin to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Not a bad episode, reeked of 90's cheese though, some of the Ronan fight scenes were cringe worthy to say the least, damn fun though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Mediocre episode at best. The "John Woo" elements really bugged me (I hate John Woo). Ronan (or is it ronin? :o) is a really cheesy character to begin with, that I had actually grown to like. He seemed to be a angry man with a grudge against the wraith and against being betrayed, but instead he is just another hackneyed "strong silent type".

On a similar note, why is it that in every single encounter with the wraith that we have seen, they use non-lethal weaponry so they can take survivors back for eating. That is, after all, the whole purpose of their merry adventures across the galaxy, no? While, in this episode, we see his friends and loved ones horribly gunned down purely to add motive to his mindless and cheesy escapades?

The only enjoyment I got out of this episode was its ability to enfuriate me to the point that I was angry enough to do a ronin and go rip a telephone book into little pieces. Just like I always wanted to do...

Funnily enough, it was S02E04 that turned me off watching atlantis last time, until the whole michael storyline came into it... it so very nearly did the same thing again, I'll continue to watch an episode or two more, in the hopes that things improve. I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ivan wrote:
    On a similar note, why is it that in every single encounter with the wraith that we have seen, they use non-lethal weaponry so they can take survivors back for eating. That is, after all, the whole purpose of their merry adventures across the galaxy, no? While, in this episode, we see his friends and loved ones horribly gunned down purely to add motive to his mindless and cheesy escapades?
    Yea I was a bit confused about that one too, even more so later in the episode it says that the fight they were in was only against 2 small ships (darts I assume) which suck up the folks they fly over for feeding later I assumed? that bit didnt make much sense really, maybe it was because the darts were there to take out defenders (stay until they get shot down) so they concentrated on taking down the defenders rather than capture them, never really explained that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Venom wrote:
    Not a bad episode overall that gives some backstory to Ronan but personaly I will always see him as a poor man's Teal'c clone.

Exactly - Teal'c always had a reason to fight (i.e to free the Jaffa from Gou'ld oppression) whereas Ronan just fights because he is angry.

Another average episode which was completely focused on character development. I thought the bit where McKay is "drugged up and talikng rubbish was funny. Some of the fight scenes (especially the one where he has strategically placed the guns around the warehouse) was cheesy, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I scrolled down without reading anything, just to say I hate you all for having Sky One: Ive missed out on this ENTIRE season, and I will miss out on the rest of it as well....Im gonna go cry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This was above all else, an entertaining episode.

Reading into it anymore just reminds me of it's flaws and makes me angry.
    Ronin's reason for fighting doesn't bother me...I'd be angry in his shoes like, and while it's good to finally get some background info on him, I feel it's too little too late. He is too cliched for me and the fact that they used him to replace a genuinly interesting, and original (to Stargate) character is even more annoying. It's like American tv characters aren't made so we can relate to them, but so they can relate to a cliche.
    I think he's a bad character.

Also, the exact moment the Wraith started sucking was in 'The Siege part 3', when they bought the cloak thing and left. Lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never was convinced the Wraith were totally the answer, but they WOULD work if they werent so horribly hampered by the writers. Personally, I like the new "characters" introduced in Progeny...can't wait for more on that.

PS. YouTube : catching up on this stuff from the comfort of my desktop. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No way, the Asurans....are Replicators.
    It's bloody infuriating that they ruined the Wraith, and now they're taking an enemy from Sg-1. This is pathetic.

Advertisement