Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended up to date security software

Options
  • 04-08-2006 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been discussed recently but Im just wondering if the combination of AVG, Spybot, Ad-aware, and Windows Defender is still considered the "ideal setup" for securing a PC? (With Zone Alarm as the firewall).

Im curious to know if theres new open source software available that the experts here consider a "must have".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've heard that NOD32 is a fairly powerful piece of virus destruction, you have to pay for it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

And you may also want to add Peer Guardian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Make sure you have updated to Service Pack 2 if using Windows XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yep.. I have service pack 2 and all the updates for windows. For antivirus and spywear I only use the open source stuff anyway, theres no point paying for it.

I havent had a virus in 2 years with the setup I have so I think its fine.. just wondering if there was something miraculous I was missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ewido anti-spyware is quite good also but its not free (30 day trial I *think*). No harm having more than one on your computer should something slip through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement