Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques:Is it good to leave a laptop plugged in 24/7

Options
  • 04-08-2006 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

IF I have it hooked upto the mains 24/7 but not actually turned on is the battery getting charged, if so is this good or bad.:confused:

Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

A Li-ion battery will lose charge, even if it's just sitting there doing nothing. Once this is detected, it'll begin to recharge = charge cycle. There's a finite number of charge cycles that a battery can do(grammar fails me.bah!)

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life-courtesy of Wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Badish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't remember the last time my Dell has been turned off. :) Keeping the battery in good condition is a bit of a losing battle unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ruu wrote:
    I can't remember the last time my Dell has been turned off. :) Keeping the battery in good condition is a bit of a losing battle unfortunately.
    Too true.

Although, in this case, unplugging would lead to better battery longevity. On the other hand, it can lead to DC-inlet issues. Ahem.

Damned if you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement