Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could i have a virus?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I have come home today to find that my comp acting strange. I have Mc Affee anti-virus system (with firewall,spamfilter and privacy service) but it was been disable and i can't open it. Also i can't open my msn and when i play css, i can only get 9fps with it? My other online game which is an mmrpg is fine though. Also when i start up my computer, if i go into my Windows task manager it has IEXEPLORE there about 30times. Other ppl use my comp so i think they might have done something. My RAM and CPU usage is alrite btw.
    Has anyone seen something similar to this before or is it something else?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've never seen anything like that, but it does sound like a virus alright.

Are you getting more pop-ups than usual? Does your computer advertise software, through means of pop-ups, offline or online, on your desktop or in a browser? Common software it will advertise is some anti-spyware programs (they are actually in fact spyware themselves, so stay well clear). A Common one is called SpySheriff (sometimes can be known as SpyAxe)

Wikie Article for SpySheriff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spysheriff

Do you have any anti-adware software, anti-spyware or anti-malware software installed on your computer, as McAffee may not get them all

These would be the best ones Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware

If you want the links for them, look at Aidan-Walsh's signature, I'm too lazy to get the links myself :p

I hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

IEXPLORE.EXE would be internet explorer, if that is running 30 processes then something is wrong or is it EXPLORER.EXE?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Q: Could i have a virus?
    A: Only if you ask nicely.

There are numerous viruses which disable McAfee, otherwise it could just be Mr Cockup paying a visit - it's difficult to say without more information. Check MSCOFNFIG?
    Download, install, and update AVG Free and use Spybot S&D + AdAware (updated too) and scan in Safe Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

No it's IEXEPLORE.EXE but it disappears after a minute. i checked my RAM again and i'm using about 650Mb with only firefox and msn open? i have Ad-aware and Spybot and they have detected things but nothing more than the usual 3 for risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

download autoruns from sysinternals & see what is running at startup.
    you might want to download Process Explorer too.
    they should be enough to identify where the problem is coming from, removal is another thing.
    boot into safe mode if you've found a malicious program & delete it.

• Advertisement

Well if i do have a virus, it's not doing much atm :confused: except using about half my RAM that is. i was able to re-install my msn and McAffee Anti-virus system and they work fine now. I am scanning for viruses and will let you know if i find any.

well, my Mc Affee found no viruses so i'm gonna have to do it the hard way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I doubt its a virus though... its more likely spyware/malware of some type. Try ad-aware & spybot S&D.
    Also download windows defender.
    All are free. Better off running in safe mode (F8 on boot)

Hijackthis is the best thing but you have to know exactly what you are doing so i would not use it as your technical knowledge is too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

it's not doing much atm except using about half my RAM that is.

are you running windows xp? :D

Advertisement