Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom League Friday Games

Options
  • 04-08-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Going to do a weekly Eircom League bet.
    Start off with €100.

I'll start off with a short priced single. €30 on Sligo @ 8/11

Great home record!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I managed to get 11/10 on them shortly before the game. Thought it was a great price. What a bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

i thought Chris Turner would start. big disappoinment when he was on the subs bench.

Still have €70 left to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

i thought Chris Turner would start. big disappoinment when he was on the subs bench.

Still have €70 left to play with.

Stick with Shels, they are on a fine run at the moment and will dismantle Cork on Friday night.

Sligo play Bray tonight at home in the Showgrounds.

Nearly a full strength team.

i have €70 left.

Ill have €50 in Sligo @ 1/2.

Sligo won 2-0, so I'm back to €95.

I wont get carried away.:D

One bet a week!

• Advertisement

I know they are terrible odds, but Derry should beat UCD @ 30/100.

I recommend €30 @ 3/10.

Take small steps.

I know they are terrible odds, but Derry should beat UCD @ 30/100.

I recommend €30 @ 3/10.

A tip like that needs to come with a safety warning. I've got no problem whatsoever that the bet lost. WE ALL BACK LOSERS.

But how can you place a bet when you know the odds are terrible? That is madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

telecaster wrote:
    A tip like that needs to come with a safety warning. I've got no problem whatsoever that the bet lost. WE ALL BACK LOSERS.

But how can you place a bet when you know the odds are terrible? That is madness!

What do you mean a safety warning?

The odds were terrible because everyone thought Derry would walk this. This is the first time they have dropped points at home this season.

If your going to blindly follow peoples advice on the internet dont complain when they lose.

What do you mean a safety warning?
    The advice was tantamount to "here's a terrible bet!". In my opinion, anyone who gives a tip should have some responsibililty about what they are doing - some people are easily led. Unless you are advising a bet at greater odds than you perceive the true odds to be you are irresponsibly tipping.
    The odds were terrible because everyone thought Derry would walk this. This is the first time they have dropped points at home this season.
    There is no such thing as terrible odds as long as the book is framed to a standard over-round. If the Derry to win price was terrible, then laying Derry at that price was the only reasonable thing to do. I'm well aware of Derry's form thanks.
    If your going to blindly follow peoples advice on the internet dont complain when they lose.
    If you're talking to me here, I suggest you read my original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

telecaster wrote:
    The advice was tantamount to "here's a terrible bet!". In my opinion, anyone who gives a tip should have some responsibililty about what they are doing - some people are easily led. Unless you are advising a bet at greater odds than you perceive the true odds to be you are irresponsibly tipping.

There is no such thing as terrible odds as long as the book is framed to a standard over-round. If the Derry to win price was terrible, then laying Derry at that price was the only reasonable thing to do. I'm well aware of Derry's form thanks.

If you're talking to me here, I suggest you read my original post.

How was it tantamount to "heres a terrible bet"? I still know what kind of warning he was meant to give? Or do you just have a problem with him saying "I know they are terrible odds"?

How is laying them the only reasonable thing to do? :confused: The odds for Derry would be similiar enough for most of their home matches, i certainly be alot more confident in backing them instead of laying them. I have a feling backing them would be alot more profitable aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I had a 2 pt bet on Derry last night, and I'd do the same again. I thought 1.34 was a fair price given Derry's recent form.

Of course any fool can say now after the event that Derry's amazing run had to come to an end sometime, and that UCD won away to Sligo and generally weren't as bad away from home as some people might have believed.

Generally though, in the eircom League Premier Division, a 1/3 shot is as true a 1/3 shot as you will see in any European league, and without looking at the stats, I'd say most of them have brought in the money so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

1.30 was a terrible price to back Derry at - namely because you could get 1.36 if you shopped around, for a team at the top of its form and a 100% home recored it was a fantasitic price. UCD played eleven behind the ball there was a penalty saved, and the goalkeeper played a blinder - such is life - I backed Derry at 1.36 and woudl do so again if the same match was played this weekend, my guess is if this match was played ten times in current form Derry would win 8 of them at 1.36 you would make a reasonable profit of about 0.8 of a point over the ten bets - OK only 8% on turnover - but its as much as you can expect

Anyway, Im back down to €65.

Thank you very much Mr. Quigley!:(

Tough weekend ahead.

I think Drogheda can beat my team Cork City but Im going to go with Sligo to beat Bohs at 6/5 tomorrow evening. Sligo are getting better and better under Sean connor who has bought very well. Harpal Singh, Mansonram, Turner are all good players and they have been excellent at the showgrounds.

Ill have 15 on this!

I'd be with you on Sligo Applehunter, but as far as I know, Mansaram doesn't play - so neither will I. Longford to take a draw at Shels is big at 3/1, and I'm going to take a bit of that.

The rest of my musings on the weekend games are here

Sligo won 1-0 with a late goal from Adam Hughes.

Thats me back to €73, after starting at €100.

Still 13 weekends to go.:)

Opening Balance €100

Record so far LWLW

Down to €73

Cork City to beat Bohs is my bet this weekend @ 4/6 (Ladbrokes)

€35 @ 4/6

4/6 seems to be drying up so get on quickly.;)

Good win for Cork last night.

thats another €23 so Im back up to €96 after starting at €100.

But the main thing is i've had fun along the way:D

Advertisement