Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question regarding pedals

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

chris has got a rare pedal in that i've been looking to buy for a while now.

just wondering will it work over here considering it's american?

it's a boss HM-3 by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As far as I know, it's 12v power, the batteries are the same the world round, so all you have to do is get a UK/Eire power supply for it, and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

As long as you can find out the max current draw and the voltage you won't have a hard time finding a replacement in Maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i have a UK/IE power supply at the moment which goes into my TU-2 pedal and then i daisy chain the rest of them for power.

The TU-2 runs on 9v and draws anout 200mA. Make sure you do the math before you start connecting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sorry, 9v, not 12v... Dunno where that came from! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

"Specifications

* Controls: Level, Color Mix (Low, High), Dist
    * Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
    * Current Draw: 12 mA (DC 9V)
    * Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series"

See www.bossarea.com

Sorry, now that I think of it, the TU-2 only draws about 50mA max, 200mA is the current supply of the boss PSU, which does 4 or 5 standard boss pedals afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

And keep in mind that Boss adaptors are either PSA or ACA - one of which is the older, unregulated type and the other is regulated. I can't remember which one is which though.

It's not going to affect the operation of the pedal per se, but, afaik, symptoms might include less than bright LED, weaker output etc.

I might be talking bullsh1t though, not sure about that either. :p

Regulated ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

as far as i know it hsud be aok.... + is that the boss harmoniser?

the ps-5 is mroe updated and/if not better

• Advertisement

it's the hyper metal pedal.

i'll shoot off an email to chris to see what the story is with the pedal, cheers for your help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

My friend bought all his Boss pedals in America and powers them all on Irish power supplies and has been doing so for years without them exploding so I guess you're grand!

fish-head wrote:
    My friend bought all his Boss pedals in America and powers them all on Irish power supplies and has been doing so for years without them exploding so I guess you're grand!

the thing is though this pedal is a discontinued one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Dont expect much mate...

It'll sound like a fuzz pedal, if that's what your after though.

It does take in 12volts. It has a resistor inside that drops it down to 9, so if you power it with a 9v PSA adaptor, it will get 6volts and wont operate at full power (dim led, crappy sound)

You can either remove that resistor, or run the HM-3 with another Boss pedal that's designed to work with PSA adaptors. Something about chaining the two together allows the HM-3 to run at full power taking in 9volts :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

-=al=- wrote:
    as far as i know it hsud be aok.... + is that the boss harmoniser?

the ps-5 is mroe updated and/if not better

The harmonist function on the PS-5 isn't as good as the old harmonists. IIRC the harmonist can add two harmonies to your signal, the PS-5 can only add one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

If your able to travel, I would check (try the web too) the Denmark street shops in london... I always find old second hand discontinued pedals when im there... last one was a Boss phase delay.... smash little finds in those shops

Cremo wrote:
    the thing is though this pedal is a discontinued one.

9vDC is 9vDC, whether you're in the US or on Mars. There's no factor that can limit a device running off a DC supply to one or other mains voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm a US Morley wah over here with a regular BOSS EU adaptor and everything works fine if thats any help to you.

Advertisement