Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Mullingar bypass opens

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

New Mullingar bypass officially opened to traffic

12:50 Friday August 4th 2006

The new Mullingar bypass on the N52 in Co Westmeath has been officially opened to traffic today.
    The National Roads Authority expects the road to remove around 70% of traffic from Mullingar town centre.

The 5km bypass cost €25m to construct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is good to see yet another piece in our largely incomplete jigsaw of transport infrastructure being put into place. Things are improving at the speed at which these things are happening is much improved. So we should welcome this development. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Good news indeed and only a few months till the next stage opens. Then in several more the last stage links up with the new N6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Will be handy for those going to the Hi-Fi festival from Dublin. Dual carriageway all the way and then a handy by pass around Mullingar almost to the gates of Belvedere House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the route of the bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Where does it tie in with the N52 towards Devlin/Kells?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If I understand the construction correctly, the end of the bypass links with the N4 and not the N52, so you need to go on the N4, then take the old N4/N52 junction to rejoin the Delvin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Below is my impression of it, based on the map supplied from the NRA pdf. The blue line is my rough outline of the N52 bypass as it opened today. That NRA map was horrendus in that it didnt show where the Delvin road is! damosimpressionn52.JPG

Thanks for that clarification, DMC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

BrianD wrote:
    Will be handy for those going to the Hi-Fi festival from Dublin. Dual carriageway all the way and then a handy by pass around Mullingar almost to the gates of Belvedere House.

it was opened a few weeks early for this very reason.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    Below is my impression of it, based on the map supplied from the NRA pdf. The blue line is my rough outline of the N52 bypass as it opened today. That NRA map was horrendus in that it didnt show where the Delvin road is! damosimpressionn52.JPG

Did you draw the entire map yourself or just that squiggly line at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

will this make any difference to get to the Ballymore Road (R390) from the N4?

There are plans to extend the road the whole way Mullingar, but I reckon that's 15 years away. I reckon the DC will be extended to Edgeworthstown before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

westtip wrote:
    will this make any difference to get to the Ballymore Road (R390) from the N4?
    Not yet, look at the NRA map above, there is a dashed red line for a further new road they will need to build. So no short-cut to Athlone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote:
    There are plans to extend the road the whole way Mullingar, but I reckon that's 15 years away.

The whole way to what?

I presume you mean Tullamore or something?

spacetweek wrote:
    The whole way to what?

I presume you mean Tullamore or something?

Sorry I meant to say Longford, to tie in with the N5. But it a longer term projection. There is an N5 bypass planned of longford which IMHO should be fats tracked and extended to the N63 Roscommon road.

Victor wrote:
    Not yet, look at the NRA map above, there is a dashed red line for a further new road they will need to build. So no short-cut to Athlone.

This from WRDO:

"The proposed link between the Lynn Road (N52) and Clonmore Industrial Estate (R390) will not be
    a national road and as such will not be funded by the National Roads Authority.
    It will be funded by grants from the Dept of Environment and Local Government and the Councils
    own resources. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

nordydan wrote:
    Sorry I meant to say Longford, to tie in with the N5. But it a longer term projection. There is an N5 bypass planned of longford which IMHO should be fats tracked and extended to the N63 Roscommon road.
    I thought what was being planned is a route from the N5 north of Longford around to the N4 (probably coming in somewhere around the roundabout where the McDonalds is on the Longford N4 by-pass)

I don't understand why the NRA are doing all the work on the N5 west of Longford, which is to be welcomed without first building an efficient seamless link between the N4 and N5. Longford remains a pain in the butt for anyone travelling the N5, but then I suppose there are plenty of pain in the butts around the country which still need sorting ...Moate, Kells, Navan, Fermoy, Ennis, Waterford, .................etc etc, Sure when all these roads and bypasses are finished we won't realise just how small the place is.... and then the petrol will run out for most us and the ministers will have the roads all to themselves.

Its a long term projection, but I wouls expect the western longford bypass to be completed by 2010/11. You are correct, its still the biggest bottleneck on the N5 route and its needs addressing and extended to the N63.

A doomsday scenario about petrol, we'll have fusion powered electric cars by that stage and they'll just be finishing off the port tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Victor wrote:

If you're going to Athlone you stay on the N4 until the Castlepollard turn off and then follow the Western bypass, past the hospital. This leads you onto the Ballymahon/Ballymore road without having to go through the town.

The long term plan is to reduce the Ballymore road to a minor role. The Mullingar-Ballymahon-Athlone road is to be upgraded as the primary route between the two towns. This will include a long awaited Ballykeeran/Glasson bypass.

• Advertisement

Updated information further up the N4:

"N4 Cloonamahon to Castlebaldwin Realignment:
    Information is currently being gathered for preparation of EIS and Preliminary Design is ongoing.

N15 Sligo to County Boundary Realignment:
    A preferred route has been adopted by the elected members of the council. The next step is to get this route included into the current County Development Plan. This scheme has been split into three phases. It is envisaged that Phase 1 of this scheme which extends from Hughes Bridge to Shannon Eighter be constructed within the next two to three years. Preliminary Design has commenced on this scheme."

In relation to upgarding the Athlone - Mullingar route, this would make sense with the three towns being a combined hub in the national spatial strategy. The update to the N52 from Tullamore to Kilbeggan will link the three towns by a high quality road network. I propose the call this new Athlone Mullingar road the N57.

Looks like the preferred route for the N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road scheme has been selected. This would complete the S2 upgrade of the N52 between the N4 and the M6 (maps located on 2nd hyperlink):

http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/article.asp?newsId=82&backURL=%2Fnew%2Findex.asp

http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/download_cat.asp?cat=8&dlCat=N52CB

N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Improvement Scheme

Posted By: Serena O'Connor - 14 Jul 2009

Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (Part8)

Plans and particulars of the proposed scheme may be inspected at the Kilbeggan Area Office of Westmeath County Council, The Square, Kilbeggan or the National Roads Design Office, Westmeath County Council, Culleen Beg, Mullingar, from 9.00am to 4.00pm each day, excluding weekends and Bank Holidays, from Monday 13th July 2009 up to and including 28th August 2009.

Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed developement, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable developement of the area, may be made in writing to Westmeath County Council and should be addressed to:-The Planning Section, Kilbeggan Area Office, The Square, Kilbeggan, to reach there not later than 4.00pm on Friday 11th September 2009.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I notice that this is going to be of a higher standard than the actual Mullingar Bypass (theres an overbridge, and no RABs it seems)... seeing as the N52 Belvedere scheme is of this standard too it makes the Mullingar BP look very under-grade now!

MYOB wrote: »
    I notice that this is going to be of a higher standard than the actual Mullingar Bypass (theres an overbridge, and no RABs it seems)... seeing as the N52 Belvedere scheme is of this standard too it makes the Mullingar BP look very under-grade now!

Maybe something to do with town development. There are a lot of roundabouts I would imagine to try and create industrial zones to develop Mullingar as part of the midlands gateway. Laughable now I know

Advertisement