Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur lee is dead!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

R.I.P Arthur.

Forever changes is such a stunning album still listen to it quite a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

never to be remastered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Shocking news indeed. Alone Again Or is one of the most incredible songs you'll ever hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

RIP
    Forever Changes is a fantastic record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

HDX wrote:
    never to be remastered...

what do you mean?

Forever Changes was remastered in 2001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The man was a genius, the first 4 love albums are great. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Love along with Spirit were proberly the best of the late 60s west coast psychedelic inspired bands.

The greatest thing about Lee was his brilliant songwriting - most artists have a style and stick with it adding the odd variation. Lee could go from a-z and back again within a single tune, its proberly why Love never hit the big time and ended up a cult/critics favourite.

Success tends to be based on being predictable.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lufc100

RIP Arthur,
    Never got the credit he deserved or cash by the looks of things,
    A true inspiration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Never heard of him, what was he famous for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Lee_(musician))

Check out their best known song, Alone Again Or. Covered by The Damned, UFO and, most recently, Calexico. Gorgeous stuff. Actually, RTE were using it as the backing music for a recent ad for Zorro with Antonio Banderas. I suppose it sounded like generic Mexican/Tijuana brass music in that ad, but the song in full is a thing of magnificence.
    Love were quite political. The really pretty sound of their songs masked a darker message. Lee, being black, was obviously concerned with America's racial divide in the 60s and 70s. Saw him being interviewed recently. He was saying that his music may appear hippyish but it definitely wasn't all flowers in your hair stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Never heard of him, what was he famous for??

I despair! Go out and buy Forever Changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Dang, what a shame. Glad I caught his show in Dublin a few years ago.

Advertisement