Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice........

Options
  • 04-08-2006 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have this awful affliction. I take a practice swing or two, they feel perfect, then I approach the ball, swing back and this voice comes innto my head, like someone making a mongo noise behind me "Mooobweaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" and I jolt my arms, raise my head and slice the ball or even worse, barely get it off the tea box. This happens sometimes, not all the time! But it can go on for a few holes!

When it happens I usually start to play a song in my head to drown out the voice, breath and relax. This works sometimes, otherwise i get increasingly annoyed and start planning the quickest route to my car!

Does anyone get this? And how do you try to prepare your mind, to relax and get rid of the pressure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

No offense Joe. Why are you under pressure?

Asking this quesion may help you out.

Its GOLF! You are supposed to be enjoying yourself. Forget about making poor swings, duffing the ball, enjoy the day.

Quick drill if you need it. Look out at the hole with admiration.....take a deep, deep, deep breath(take in as much air as you can) and hold it for 15 sec....then release it out slow and long.

Then enjoy.

Honestly it is easier than it actually is, but you have to start somewhere until you build up this mental skill.

Again...you are supposed to be enjoying yourself...you are not making your living doing this, nor is your very existence dependant on the next swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You need to try and clear your mind when you are swinging mate. Think before the swing, and after it. During the swing, you just need to relax, and think 'swing slowly' or whatever works for you..
    Like PP said, enjoy it, it's a game, you don't earn your living from it!!

Advertisement