Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 2b MAin Event

Options
  • 03-08-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Day 2B Main Event of WSOP

Its now day 2 of the main event and I’ve been up since 9, had breakfast and went for a swim again. Today it feels a bit different, I’ve butterflies in my stomach and excited about the day ahead and the chance I now have of making the final table of the main event. I feel 40k is a nice amount to take forward into day 2 and I finished 138 on Day 1 out of nearly 2200 players.

I got off to a great start in level 1, calling a aggressive players raise from the cut-off with 97 suit, the flop came 2 hearts and I bet out 4k, he called the turn was another rag but now gave me 2nd pair, I was happy that I was ahead in the hand and had loads of outs on the river if I was wrong, so I bet out 12k into a 12k pot, he folded and that was the start of things with me and this player, he kept raising, I called a lot and out played him on the flop. I even made the comment to him that I will call and outplay him on any flop, this was attempted to slow him down, but it failed.lol.

I then raised in mid-position with A9 h’s, I had decided my game plan was to raise with marginal hands in position and hopefully take a lot of the blinds as they were now worth stealing with the ante’s in the middle, but unfortunately this table had callers and aggressive players, so most of my steal attempts were either re-raised or flat called, I won some of them on the flop but lost some also. Anyway, the flop came Ace high and I bet out 4k, he called this bet and the turn card was another heart, so I bet out 8k, which at this stage had the player committed to the pot, he again flat called, thankfully for me the river was another heart giving me the nut flush, I push all in and he called, I knew he couldn’t let it go and I show him the nut flush, that now had me up to 82k from starting with 40k in level 1, I was delighted and motoring nicely.

But that was as good as it got, I was mostly card dead from there on and lost a nice pot to a river flush when I failed to bet the turn in a 4 way pot. I managed to keep my stack between 55k and 80k for most of the next 3 levels.

We had an aggressive Swedish player on the table that would raise and play any 2 cards, he is also a friend of Eric the big online cash player. He raised utg with 44 and I reraised in mid position to 20k, putting him all-in, I had a stack of 82k at this stage and was looking to get rid of as many small stacks as possible, he eventually called and it was a race between by AK suited and his pair of 4’s, I hit the K on the flop, but he got runner, runner for the straight hitting a 6 to completed it on the river, I was gutted, but I still had plenty of chips, but that pot would have given me over 100k and up with the big stacks and room to push the table.

I than raised utg with 66, hoping to take the blinds, again the aggressive player that had been raising my blinds decided to call in the button position, the flop came 356 rainbow, I check and he bet out 4.5k, I took a while and decided to re-raise him to 9k, he then quickly re-raised me to 20k, I now was pot committed to the hand and felt he wouldn’t be able to let go of his hand, so I decided to come over the top and put him all in, given him another 20k to call, but this would leave him with about 8k behind, he decided to fold and I think he was just making a move on the pot, I really should have flat called his reraise and let him bet the turn in hindsight, but I didn’t really want to give any free cards, so in level 4 I was back up to 80k, but I was quickly back down to mid 60’s after calling some preflop raises and missing the flop or getting re-raised with any preflop raises.

So I finish the day on 63k, I’m not happy about that as I felt I should have been on the 100k mark, but I am confident of making the money. The last level was horrible to play, people taken 10 minutes to make a decision as they wanted to get into day 3 and make the money by any means, I tried to explain to them the best chance of making the money is to see as many flops as possible, as all the tables start to slow play all over the place, this is not ideal for me with my stack size as I need to get involved before the blinds leave me in push and hope mode.

The blinds are starting to hurt, but in general there’s still plenty of play left, to go really deep in this tourney I need to get some big hands on Friday and bust either shortstacks or double up off the big stacks. I’ve the 5th biggest stack on my table on Friday with a few short stacks, so it’s an ok table to make the money from, but not a great table to make the final table from as I need an action table more than a tight table.

The room itself on Wednesday was amazing, it was nice to walk in and see quarter of the room already gone, but the time we got to 600 odd players it was down to the last quarter of the room, this gives you encouragement as it is the first time you feel you’re getting somewhere.

I’m now looking forward to Friday as this will be the make or break day for me, I need to get myself a big stack if I want to be there after Friday and in the last 600, I’m not worried about making the money as I want to go really deep in this event, I also know I’ve played some of the best poker of my life and I’m very proud of what I’ve achieved so far, but its never enough.

The only negative aspect of the Wednesday was the atmosphere had changed in the room, the tension had got to a lot of the players and the bad manners of some players is disgraceful, they goat other players when they suck them out and some people nearly came to blows when they get knocked out. With all the money involved it’s the pressure of the situation and the media attention is now getting stronger and it doesn’t help with all the players’ supporters crowding around the tables and shouting over the players.

So that’s today’s report and I’ll hopefully be able to continue this for another day or 2 at least.

Ollie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Wallko

great report, good luck on friday, boardies are ruting for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Carlsberg don't make trip reports...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Was wondering what you had when I walked up and saw you all-in Ollie. I'm available for hire as a spectator as both Rob and Ollie have survived all-ins while I watched :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Excellent report - best of luck, we're all watching & cheering you on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

go ollie! go ollie!
    good luck man, make a hundred grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

musician wrote:
    Was wondering what you had when I walked up and saw you all-in Ollie. I'm available for hire as a spectator as both Rob and Ollie have survived all-ins while I watched :)

I offer you a buy-in to next years event if I make the final table, but you cant leave my side.....lol

thanks doc and all the lads for your support. I can seem some of us going really deep in this event, hopefully all of us.

Ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

go ollie! go ollie!
    good luck man, make a hundred grand!
    Damn right! Go Ollie, following you and the other Irish lads very closely, really hope the best for you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

N1 Ollie!! I have you and Rob on my fantasy WSOP team. You've ALREADY done me proud. Long may it continue!! Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Best of luck Olly.

Just play the cards the way you know you can.

Try and draw seat 7 for the FT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Good stuff Ollie. I'll be following your progress on Antes Up! drinking corona and playing stt's. See were having a good time over here too!.

GL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Keep going Ollie.... keep yapping as well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

go on you good thing,deep deep deep...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Great report ollie, less of the tony G chat!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Great work, hope you go deep and get the chance to play with some great players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Brilliant stuff so far, Ollie! Just keep playing your game as you are, and hopefully you'll go really deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Keep pushin it Ollie, you and the rest of the lads have done us proud already and you're all capable of going very deep in this one.

You've all got the support from over here and I'm looking forward to watching a few of you on the FT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭HalfBaked

Agee with all of the above, you boys are playin some great stuff and doing us proud.

Keep it up, we'll all be cheering for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Another super post. Pulverise them baby.

Do it baby!!

:D

good luck, you've the entire island's poker players behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Great report Olly, great read.
    Best of luck in day 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

"they goat other players when they suck them out and some people nearly came to blows when they get knocked out.

Baaaaaaaaa I goat you.

Brillaint report. WP and Enjoy every second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Ollie you are a legend. Am delighted it is going so well for you the irish lads over there. The Drogheda 250 game won't be the same but sure we'll manage. Don't forget stay away from pocket 2's their a nightmare;) ;)

Fingers and toes crossed for all the gang. Dave Murray with monster stack, brillant and great to see KP doing so well.

Will be checking out boards the weekend. Good luck one and all.

Smurph

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VEGAS NIGHTS

Exciting read Ollie, for a while there I felt I was sitting at the table with you. Best of luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Wallko wrote:
    great report, good luck on friday, boardies are ruting for you

I can assure you that I wasn't but I was certainly rooting for you. My stag impersonations are a thing of the past.

any more news Ollie?

Advertisement