Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian handicap

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

not 100% sure how this works. Have a general idea but one thing i dont get.

gonna use the leeds vs norwich match on betfair.

Norwich at +0.5 @ 1.88. On the side bar where you can bet it says that if Norwich win or draw you get 3.52euro from a 4euro stake.

YOu can get Norwich at +0&+0.5 @ 1.9. If Norwich win you get 3.60, if they draw you get 1.80.

Surely its much wiser to beat at 0.5 so even if they draw you get the same money as you would if they won?

Why would some risk losing alot of their profit by betting on +0&+0.5 market for just a increase of .02?

Am i missig something? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

not 100% sure how this works. Have a general idea but one thing i dont get.

gonna use the leeds vs norwich match on betfair.

Norwich at +0.5 @ 1.88. On the side bar where you can bet it says that if Norwich win or draw you get 3.52euro from a 4euro stake.

YOu can get Norwich at +0&+0.5 @ 1.9. If Norwich win you get 3.60, if they draw you get 1.80.

Surely its much wiser to beat at 0.5 so even if they draw you get the same money as you would if they won?

Why would some risk losing alot of their profit by betting on +0&+0.5 market for just a increase of .02?

Am i missig something? :confused:
    Asians can be a tricky bugger to get to grips with in your head. Once you start playing with a few figures though, they're easy. I'm not sure how much you know exactly about the concept, so I'll start at scratch. We'll use your theoretical game of Leeds Vs Norwich as the example. Our stake will be €4 and we will always back Norwich.

Essentially, there are three kind of Asian Handicap bets. The one you're referring to, builds on the first two. Like I said, I can't be certain you're familar with the first two types of Asian Handicap, so I'll go through them.

1. Let's say the Asian Handicap is Leeds -1, Norwich +1. We back Norwich, the match finishes 1-0 to Leeds. Norwich were given a one goal headstart so with our handicap, the result is 1-1. Our bet didn't win, but it didn't lose either, therefore, our stake is returned. Note that; as long as we have handicaps that are whole numbers (+0, -1, +1, -2, ....), there is always the possibility that our stake is returned.

2. Now, let's say that the Asian Handicap is Leeds -0.5, Norwich +0.5. Once again, we back Norwich and again, the match finishes 1-0 to Leeds. Norwich get a one goal headstart so with our handicap, the result is 1 - 0.5. Whether we lose by 0.25, 0.5 or 0.75 of a goal, this bet is a loser. Note; unlike an Asian Handicap with whole numbers (+0, -0, +1, -1, ...) a bet with fractions of goals will only results in our bet being a winner or a loser.

3. Now, let say that the Asian Handicap is Leeds -0, -0.5, Norwich +0, +0.5. What this means is that we split our stake between two different Asian Handicaps. So in other words, we have €2 on Norwich at +0 and €2 on Norwich at +0.5.
    • If Leeds win 1-0 again, that means that Leeds have won in the handicap 1-0 and 0-0.5, ie. both bets have lost, we lose our full stake. -€4
    • If the match finishes 0-0, that means our handicap finishes 0-0 and 0-0.5. The 0-0 result is considered void a lá step 1, our stake is returned. We have won our second bet though. +€1.80
    • Norwich win 1-0 this time, this means we win both of our bets 0-1 and 0-1.5. +€3.60

You should be able to see where betfair plucks it's figures from now!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

It should be noted that the bookies over-round or theoretical profitability is far less on Asian Hcaps than on 1-2-X betting. Punters are better off taking the time to understand the Asian Hcaps and then playing there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I played the Asians on the odd occasion last season, but I'll be doing it a fair bit more given the commission gap on betfair. The problem can sometimes be trying to get decent liquidity on some fixtures, especially in a busy weekend card. I had Red Star -1, -1.5 the other night though, so that was a success. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Bateman wrote:
    I played the Asians on the odd occasion last season, but I'll be doing it a fair bit more given the commission gap on betfair.

A very good point that most people are totally unaware, the commission on Asian handicap bets on Betfair is only 1% as opposed to 5% for most other markets.

I find the Asian handicap a very profitable market to bet on, the usual home bankers when a top team plays a lower team offer such a short price on the win market that the asian Handicap is quite often the way to go.

Likewise picking away winners can be tough through straight win bets, but with an Asian handicap you can always back the away +.5 goals thus giving yourself the draw as well as the away win, the price (considering the commission difference) is quite often not too far off the straight away win bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

going give this a try tonight. Lyon are away to Nantes tonight in the first match of the French Championat(sp).

I am going to go for Nantes at +0.5 @ 1.8 on betfair.

Lyon's request to postpone their Ligue 1 opener against Nantes on August 4 has been rejected by the French Olympic Committee (CNOSF).

Les Gones, the five-time champions, had initially approached the French football league (LFP) last month to ask if the match could be played at a later date, in order to allow their international stars more time to prepare for the curtain-raiser.

France's Gregory Coupet, Sidney Govou, Sylvain Wiltord, Eric Abidal and Florent Malouda, Brazilians Juninho, Cris and Fred, and Tiago of Portugal all took part in the World Cup this summer and are not expected back in training until Saturday.

However, the LFP refused to allow them more time to get ready for the campaign, much to the annoyance of Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas.

Les Gones then took the case to the CNOSF hoping for a different outcome, but the organisation has sided with the league instead.

"The CNOSF considered that the LFP applied the rules by rejecting Olympique Lyonnais' request and told the club to respect the original decision," said a press statement from the LFP.

Lyon, who finished top of the table with a 15-point cushion over Bordeaux last term, will in 2007 be aiming to win a record sixth consecutive title.

sportinglife

this lads definitly wont be playing - Coupet, Abidal, Benhamida, Idangar, Hima, Tiago, Juninho, F.Malouda, Govou, Wiltord, Riou, Müller, Beynié, Bettiol.

Probale line up is: Vercoutre,Clerc,Squillaci,Caçapa,Berthod,M.Diarra,Toulalan
    Källström,Ben Arfa,Benzema,Carew.

Still a decent Squad. However with so many of the regulars missing, it being the first game of the season and away. It looks like a useful bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement