Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing a BMW intereior trim/dash

Options
  • 03-08-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Can this be done? How much does a new trim and dash (over glove compartment etc) replacement generally cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would you want to? Does the colour offend?

Short answer is if the trim is to be replaced by the same only posher ie wood inserts/leather bla bla bla then yes, but it would cost a small fortune to do.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm guessing you got the wood trim and you'd like the nice brushed aluminium ones?

They can be got on fleebay, but can be expesive. They are easy to replace, apart from the one around the gear stick. Just clip off.

You can also buy from the dealers (expensive) or the cheap and nasty cover kits that you will regret changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

You can get wooden **** for the interior here

http://www.bmtown.com/

for £70

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

awishawash wrote:
    Can this be done? How much does a new trim and dash (over glove compartment etc) replacement generally cost?

You could try finding a crashed one in a scrap yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Hit the nail on the head lex. horrible walnut dash etc, not what i want at all. You sure you can relace the lot on ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its simple enough, I've done mine. What model BMW do you have??

awishawash wrote:
    Hit the nail on the head lex. horrible walnut dash etc, not what i want at all. You sure you can relace the lot on ebay?
    I saw a titanium set on ebay once for the 5 series, but for an automatic...would have got it only mines a manual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

€20 worth of silver metalic spray and you can do it yourself, easy enough to clip off and take care doing it. Looks great and a helluva lot cheaper. Next project; learn how to trim the seats in leather! :D

Bluehair wrote:
    €20 worth of silver metalic spray and you can do it yourself, easy enough to clip off and take care doing it. Looks great and a helluva lot cheaper. Next project; learn how to trim the seats in leather! :D
    Thought about doing that myself...do the trims not have a plastic cover?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bluehair wrote:

Is it really that easy? I'd love to change the sea of grey plastic in mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I personally wouldn't spray any trim - just because it will eventually start chipping. I've done it myself - including proper plastic primer, several coats of paint and lacquer. 3M make a special tape for car interior trim which would last far longer.

You coming up to the BMW show on Sunday Eoin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kdevitt wrote:
    I personally wouldn't spray any trim - just because it will eventually start chipping. I've done it myself - including proper plastic primer, several coats of paint and lacquer. 3M make a special tape for car interior trim which would last far longer.

I'll have to check that out
    kdevitt wrote:
    You coming up to the BMW show on Sunday Eoin?

I'm sorely tempted, but I'm fast running out of permission slips with herself!

Advertisement