Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video recordings

Options
  • 03-08-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think that it's illegal if that's what you mean. Even on public space you largely have a right to photograph whatever you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Potentially messy. Data Protection law applies to video recordings from which a person is identifiable (unless the use is merely personal and domestic) and, for example, businesses may find that they are unable to monitor employees despite being on business property. Ownership of property isn't determinative.

The Data Protection Commissioner has a useful guide here:
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=m&fn=/documents/guidance/cctv.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I disagree TJ. I think this is basically uncontentious. If the camera is overtly visible or signage is clearly displayed, I don't see a problem with the recording. Of course you might have certain duties to protect the privacy of the people recorded. Even this could be largely avoided if you put up a sign clearly stating that 'CCTV is in use with the intent of broadcast and general entertainment', providing this was reasonable in the context of course.

When you enter a public entertainment venue, there is sometimes a rider on the ticket or on signage which assigns rights in the performance (including potentially your 'performance' on the dancefloor) to the organizers.

Of course none of this is legal advice ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Advertisement
Advertisement