Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to play????

Options
  • 02-08-2006 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

im a 16 year old,6'3 174pound guy, fit, athletic and want to play american football i was jus wonderin where is the closest team to carrickmines or sandyford area????? also wat age do u hafta b 2 play full contact not flag football??????? will play flag football if no full contact is available!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Rebels used to play in Greystones and trained in Booterstown they were in Santry this year don't know if they are moving back southside. http://www.dublinrebels.com

Outlaws are based in Tallaght location TBC. If you are interested in joining us ring Terry on 0879783986.
    http://www.tallaghtoutlaws.com

Dragons in Lucan beside superquinn in the community school. John Durrad 0879291005
    http://www.dublindragons.com

Go to http://www.iafs.co.uk for more info or http://www.iafl.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tweeder 26

hey geoff,i play for the dublin rebels and coach the flag team!! I no your eger to play contact but flag is a great learning ground to pick up the basics!! As for our location we train in booterstown in blackrock which is close enough to you. As far as our teams go we are the best kitted team in the country and probaly tied for the best flag team,feel free to come down and play anytime,just let me no if your interested and serious about your football.If you are you`ll fit right in!!!
    Hope to see you soon

Coach Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

geoff_nfl wrote:
    im a 16 year old,6'3 174pound guy, fit, athletic and want to play american football i was jus wonderin where is the closest team to carrickmines or sandyford area????? also wat age do u hafta b 2 play full contact not flag football??????? will play flag football if no full contact is available!!!!!!
    You're allowed play full contact in the league at 16 so you're old enough. I play for DCU saints and even though it's a bit of a commute you're welcome to come try out for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yep, 16 is the youngest you can be, but you need a parent/guardian to sign off on your league registration form if your under 18.

The rebels would be the easiest for you to get to, but I know you'd be welcome on any team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm 21, not a huge guy, played winger in rugby for schools, can take and give the hits with equal pleasure. the dublin rebels, what nights do they train, whats the commitment required, rules are a bit over the head for me, are their a few teams?

• Advertisement

i'm 21, not a huge guy, played winger in rugby for schools, can take and give the hits with equal pleasure. the dublin rebels, what nights do they train, whats the commitment required, rules are a bit over the head for me, are their a few teams?
    There's four teams in Dublin, based training wise in Glasnevin (DCU Saints), Tallaght (Tallaght Outlaws, new team for next year), Booterstown (Dublin Rebels) and Lucan (Dublin Dragons). Further details are available here: www.iafl.info

hey mel,the rebels train down in booterstown opposite willow park.We train on sundays from 12-3.30. Unfortunitly the season just ended so we wont be training for a while,as fer as commitment goes just come to training hungover or not and be ready to work.We take it serious enough but mainly have a laugh,this works for us as our track record shows!!! Best team ever in the history of the irishh game!!! Come down training when we start back,probaly november if not before.Cant say you`ll start but the rugby will stand to you,played openside on the sct,started football the year after and was a starting saftey in my first season. where would you like to play position wise??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Hey,

Like the others, I am interested in giving it a go, i am 25 come from a Judo backround, I am from swords,
    Dont know that much about the Sport apart from trying to follow it on Sky, Any suggestions about where to start at the bottom,

NeiloMac wrote:
    Hey,

Like the others, I am interested in giving it a go, i am 25 come from a Judo backround, I am from swords,
    Dont know that much about the Sport apart from trying to follow it on Sky, Any suggestions about where to start at the bottom,
    Heya Neilo, I play for DCU Saints and we're the nearest team to Swords. I'm 28 and played for them last year, they're a good bunch of lads and there's a good few guys who aren't in DCU on theam. We're probably back training on October 25 and there's a few guys from Swords on the team, our head coach lives there too.We were all rookies last year and will have a good few new people this year so you'ld be taught everything from the beginning. The first few weeks are all conditioning work and learning how to tackle safely etc and then we move to full padded contact. During the normal term we train at DCU sports grounds on the Ballymun Road. We train from 11am to 2pm or 2.30pm on a Sunday but they may change that this year. There's a good social aspect to the club too, we meet up in Buskers in Temple Bar on a Sunday night to watch games - it's a good way of getting to know everybody. Feel free to PM me if you need any info about either DCU or the league in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

Sign me up, Whats the nearest team to rathfranham, I played alot of rugby in my teens currently 23...6"4 15 stone and can run like the bejaysus

• Advertisement

Tallaght Outlaws - Terry 0879783986

or

Dublin Dragons(Lucan) - 0879291005

Both these closest to Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

what about the kit?

At the moment it is fitness training and drills. Our head coach arrives in November and we will start full contact. The team supplys game day apparel on game day jerseys etc. Unfortunately each player has to buy their own equipment but we have done a deal to get a full set at a good price helmet shoulder pads and training apparel. That order gets done in November.

If interested contact Terry 0879783986

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devrozex

Hey, I'd be interested in playing too. I'm a 23 year old in the Stillorgan area, so I suppose the Rebels would be the handiest to get to, training wise. You guys start training again in November, is it?

Devrozex wrote:
    Hey, I'd be interested in playing too. I'm a 23 year old in the Stillorgan area, so I suppose the Rebels would be the handiest to get to, training wise. You guys start training again in November, is it?
    Rebels usually start kitted training in January I think, Tweeder will be able to tell you better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

Love pigskin and always wanted to play, so I'd like to give it a shot, I live in Kilbarrack(thats near Howth, a lot of people don't know where it is so I use Howth as a sort of becon). I'm 23 and 6ft, like to start playing either flag or contact, which ever. Travel distance isnt a problem, I'll get transport and what not or walk if I have too.

to senbotsu and devorex

hey lads,the rebels have not set a date as to when we start back kitted training.It will probaly be mid jan,were still nursing our bodies after the perfect season:p .If you wanna come play some flag just to get a feel for the game and learn the basic skills wer training this sunday down in booterstown park beside the dart station.Were classed as the junior team but all new players will have to play on the flag team for there rookie season as well as playing kitted football,its the best place to learn!Check out the web site www.dublinrebels.com for my mobile if your interested. Hopefully see you soon.Darragh Farrell

At the moment it is fitness training and drills. Our head coach arrives in November and we will start full contact. The team supplys game day apparel on game day jerseys etc. Unfortunately each player has to buy their own equipment but we have done a deal to get a full set at a good price helmet shoulder pads and training apparel. That order gets done in November.

If interested contact Terry 0879783986

hey lads where are you ordering gear from,some of my juniors want to order kit for next season.

Tweeder 26 wrote:
    hey lads where are you ordering gear from,some of my juniors want to order kit for next season.
    We got ours from Barnett, forelle were a bit of a pain to deal with apparently.
    Details here, they do do discounts sometimes. They rang me a few weeks saying about there being a 20 per cent off offer on all orders for previous customers but think it's over now.
    http://www.barnettsports.com/main.php?PHPSESSID=10166eb1450bfdb4f078dd9ac254faf9&Pays=13&S=aaaaa&Famille=6&Cat=9&positioncat=2&idproduit=6092002&section=produit

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Hey i'm just wonderin if there's any team in the Kildare area? Naas,Newbridge,Athy direction? I've just turned 20, I'm 6ft3 and I'm around 220-230, used to play rugby and wrestle but have always been interested in American Football...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Nothing in the Kildare area, unfortunately. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, you can head out to the Rebels (www.dublinrebels.com), who train in Booterstown. I travel from Tyrrelstown myself, which is further away than Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

You're pretty much out of the way of all dublin teams there pal but the closest to you would probably be the dublin dragons, they play in lucan.

www.dublindragons.com

Failing that the other teams in the dublin area are:

www.dcusaints.com - they obviously play in DCU, but you dont have to be a student to play. They have a solid set up there.

www.dublinrebels.com - as mentioned above, theyre the shamock bowl champions the past 5 years running I believe so that would be a good choice too.

www.tallaghtoutlaws.com - new team set up this year, bright future ahead with a young squad. Based in tallaght.

Whatever team you choose to play for if you do decide to play will welcome you with open arms, you will have a fair bit of travelling to do no matter what you choose so i'd suggest contacting all the teams and find out what they have to say - see if they can entice you themselves.

Good luck and hope to see you on the field this season

Advertisement