Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junctions

Options
  • 01-08-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭

There are several roads on my cycle into work which have two stops lines. For example, at Kilmore Road / Malahide Road, there is a stop line, and another meter further on (in line with the traffic lights) another stop line.

Does anyone know the purpose of the second line? The box formed between them isn't shaded so I presume it's not an ASL for cyclists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

Sometimes they do this to allow HGV's to make the turn without mangling a car or cyclist waiting at the lights. The first line is where you must stop, and the gap between the first and the second is the space where the body of the large vehicle will cross while making the turn....that's how it is in Drogheda anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gobdaw

Where a cycle lane comes up to the signals, and is finished in red tarmac, the space between the two "stop" lines is also finished in red. I believe the space is reserved for cyclists, particularly those making a right turn.

But we await the promised revised rules of the road to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

I probably should have taken a photo to explain it a little cleared. The forward stop line is already set back from the junction to allow buses/lorries to turn right off the Malahide road onto Kilmore Road. The next line is even futher back from the junction so I presume its not that.

It did occur to me that it was an advanced stop box (useless things, few drivers adhere to them and even less taxi drivers) but I assume they had to be painted red as well?

Draft Rules of the Road are on http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7604-0.pdf with marked area at traffic lights on page 36. No mention of unmarked area. This isn’t Irish situation, with the man coming back “next week” to finish dat?

Bu the way, how is the sexy hyper (?) text used, so that instead of the full address as above, I could type ”here” and a click would link to the webpage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Are you sure it's not the stop line followed by a pedestrian crossing? Alternatively, if the second stop line is level with the side road, it could be that the first one is a later attempt by the council to put it in the correct place (i.e., level with the start of the footpath).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

markpb wrote:
    I probably should have taken a photo to explain it a little cleared. The forward stop line is already set back from the junction to allow buses/lorries to turn right off the Malahide road onto Kilmore Road. The next line is even futher back from the junction so I presume its not that.
    Its possible one is the old line and one is the new one. :rolleyes:
    It did occur to me that it was an advanced stop box (useless things, few drivers adhere to them and even less taxi drivers) but I assume they had to be painted red as well?
    ASL only have one stop line for cyclists, but two for motorists.
    gobdaw wrote:
    Bu the way, how is the sexy hyper (?) text used, so that instead of the full address as above, I could type ”here” and a click would link to the webpage?
    You do something like this

here[/url] :)

Victor wrote:

You do something like this

here :)

Ta very much!!

wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

I have always thought that they _were_ ASLs but just too lazy to redden them. Many cycle lanes (including on road ones) aren't coloured red, and they are still perfectly legal cycle lanes.

Advertisement