Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookstown

Options
  • 01-08-2006 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all,

As a bit of background: I'm Canadian, 22, gonna be doing the tourist routine mostly in NI from August 4th (yes, soon!) to the 17th. Only part not in the north will be Galway and Dublin, where my plane home flies out from. (Donegal Co. counts as the lower-case "n" north, right? 'Cause I'm also planning on going there...) I'm on foot and bus, if that's any help. (How sane is it to try hitching?)

I'll be in Belfast for 2-3 days, and will probably follow the tourist herds to Giant's Causeway for an afternoon, etc. etc...

But AFTERWARDS, I'll be visiting Cookstown, and information on it is very scant in either guidebooks or through google, etc. How to get there and how much it costs is easy, but I'm talking beyond that. Bureaucrats' websites are only so helpful. My grandfather was from there, so I'd like to poke around for however much time it warrants (a day, or half-day? I might stay the night...). The impression I get is that it's not the most action-packed place, though I could be wrong... (I don't care too much, I'll find something to keep my interest I'm sure...)

Really, I would just like ANY candid impressions or tips or suggestions you might have about the place or places very nearby.

Anyways, enough to chew on for now. Thanks for any help! I'll be back to continue with the torrid discussion mention of Cookstown is sure to cause...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

cookstown is not the best place the north can offer you, despite having the longest street in ireland, thats it. without a car, you are very limited for places to go, from cookstown.

if you heading up to the causway - you should continue on train up to derry city.. lots to see and do. the derry walls, etc

when you finish your travels around the north - please write up a review, about places you visited etc - if you dont mind.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alderhill

Yea, it's what I suspected... I was never going to spend long there, so I guess I'll spend even less now... Still deciding if I should base myself in Derry before checking out the Antrim coast, rather than doing it from Belfast... I think I will...

Sure, I'll definately do a write-up afterwards. I keep an "online journal" (avoiding the term blog. it's nothing special.), and I'm a journalism student besides. I'll be taking a camera of course, so you can see some photos too... I'll post the link once I'm back and I've written it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Great think about Cookstwon, is that it's only about a mile away from Co. Derry. :)

I suppose you could go and see Ardboe Aul Cross which is only about twenty minutes away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

If your grandfather was from there then go there and ask about. What information do you know about your grandfather? I'm sure there's a library that should be able to help you out. Generally speaking, it's "just another town", but if there's a reason to poke, then you're bound to unearth something of interest.

The main thing is, get there and immediately start talking to people (the right people) and you should be able to get somewhere. Try the library as your first port of call.

S.

Great think about Cookstwon, is that it's only about a mile away from Co. Derry. :)

I suppose you could go and see Ardboe Aul Cross which is only about twenty minutes away.

he has no car :confused: ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Hiya - I am from Cookstown and to be honest there aint much to see...but then you are going on a "learn about your family trip" so you might enjoy it. There is a very good tourist information centre on the Burn Road - just opposite the cinema - very easy to find.
    As for attractions etc it's limited. There is a nice forest park called Durm Manor - a 5 min taxi ride if you fancy a walk....There's also Killymoon Castle ( don't know what the opening hours are but can find out if you want ). There is lots of shopping and of course loads of really nice bars. If you are interested in any of this and want more info I'd be happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alderhill

hmmm, I'm just trying to coordinate the bus schedules now... There's a bus to Portrush which leaves 8-ish pm, I think. If I get there from Belfast 1-ish it's a good several hours to explore.

Actually, what would be great is if there is anywhere (lockers, I guess) to store my packpack and such, so I don't have to lug around a huge 40-pound pack for the time I'll be in town. Anything?

I'm leaving for the airport soon, so when I next check this (whenever I do!) I'll be in Belfast!

Thanks for the help all. I'll let you know how it goes.

alderhill wrote:
    hmmm, I'm just trying to coordinate the bus schedules now... There's a bus to Portrush which leaves 8-ish pm, I think. If I get there from Belfast 1-ish it's a good several hours to explore.

Actually, what would be great is if there is anywhere (lockers, I guess) to store my packpack and such, so I don't have to lug around a huge 40-pound pack for the time I'll be in town. Anything?

I'm leaving for the airport soon, so when I next check this (whenever I do!) I'll be in Belfast!

Thanks for the help all. I'll let you know how it goes.

In Northern Ireland Tourist Office in Belfast, donegal palace, near top shop, you can leave your bags in there... if recall correctly.

Its quicker to get the train to Portrush than the Bus from Belfast, and its cheaper too.

Advertisement