Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me... I want to buy a guitar and I have no idea what I should pay?!

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Ive suddenly have a new found interest in guitars :rolleyes: and I did a little research and I think I will teach myself as I have found LOADS of really good site to help you learn guitar! :) So now all I need is a guitar and Im not that rich at the mo and I know I shouldnt rush into it but I want to start asap so anyone know what I should pay for a goodish acoustic guitar? And preferable one that doesnt hurt my fingers too much :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

why dont you wander into waltons and have a look. They have a website www.waltons.ie.

Personally I bought a steel string acoustic from Musicmaker who are just around the corner from Waltons on Exchequer st.
    I also purchased a small 3/4 size Valencia nylon string guitar from Waltons. Cost me about 70 quid.
    The nylon string is in my opinion easier on the fingers than the steel string which can, in the beginning, be sore until you build up some hard skin on your finger tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 barbieondaedge

What size should I get if Im 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

If I were you Id get the full size. Thats what you should be learning on and would end up playing on anyway so best to start there with it.
    I only use the 3/4 size to mess around with.

Seriously though I'd head into Waltons. Tell them your budget and they will help you out.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

Oh and Id recommend having a look at http://www.guitar.gg for some good lessons and a few videos that show you some strumming and chord changes.

just get a full size, i started playing at 12 years old, and with a full size. there's no reason not to..

Also, steer clear of waltons prices. I'd definitely reccommend Perfect Pitch on Exchequer street for a first guitar, the guys are really friendly, and will even order your guitar for you especially if they don't have it in stock.

They'll sort you out with some free things to keep you going for a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I bought my first guitar in Perfect Pitch...everyone comments on how nice it is. It's a richwood solid top steel string acoustic. It only cost €189 which is really good for a solid top. It's well finished and the sound off it is top notch. I really like it, so if you can afford it I'd recommend it.

Also I'd recommend getting a solid top, even though they are more expensive the sound off them is so much nicer.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you should be able to get a decent full size steel string for about €100. they don't make crappy cheap guitars any more. i remember the crap i had to learn on, they really punished you for buying a budget guitar a few years ago!! try the buy and sell. you should be able to get a nylon string for free if you ask around...

Advertisement