Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't power on

Options
  • 30-07-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Gericom laptop ("1st Supersonic PCI-E") that came from Aldi in March of 2005. Its been working fine since I got it until yesterday. Now it just won't switch on, with both full battery and AC power. I've tried both with and without the battery installed, and on battery only.

When I press the power button, its LED comes on for a second, as do the hard disk and DVD access LEDs, then they all switch off. There's no sound of fans or the disk spinning or anything. The charge LED stays on (green when fully charged, orange when charging) throughout.

There's a pinhole reset button on the underside of it, which I assume resets the BIOS settings. I've tried that to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas what's up with it?

Specs if it makes any difference:

Intel Centrino 1.73ghz/2MB L2
    100gig IDE disk
    nvidia 6600go 128 mb graphics chipset
    onboard gig-e lan
    1gb DDR2-533
    mat****a DVD+/-RW/RAM drive

Installed OS's: Win XP SP2 and SuSE Linux 10.0

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Take out the ram,thats my first guess as with most laptops that power on for a second,if you can check is there a small compartment on underside of laptop,open it up and remove 1 stick of ram at a time,then try turning it on.Hopefully this will get you up and going again.Although Gericom notebooks are a B*stard to open up....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They have warranty seals around the memory compartment. I might be able to get it open without visibly disturbing the seal though... :)

You could try that,if its under warranty why not just let them sort it out?It'll be gone for a week or three (I've dealt with lidl mind you not aldi) but their pickup and return service is ok.It'll save you having to replace a stick of ram,assuming that is the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just to update: It was indeed a faulty stick of RAM, replaced it and its working perfectly again :)

Thanks.

No problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement