Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rap and its relation to Gangs.

Options
  • 30-07-2006 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Excuse my innocence on this subject as rap is not really my cup of tea, but i was watching snoopy doggy (or whatever his name is) on the tv
    and one of the lines on his songs was ''I wear a blue scarf on my left side because thats my Crypt side'' and was wondering are most Rappers in
    gangs or do they have the ''Spiral'' effect, ya know sing/rap about doing illegal things but have never done anything illegal in thier lives??

Thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Crip not crypt.

No most rappers are not in gangs. That's really quite a stupid question. There are rappers who were/are in gangs, more than likely when they younger. Then there are rappers who talk a lot of crap and actually live none of it. There also rappers who rap about what they have seen, grown up around and this may include gangs. Then there are plenty of rappers who don't mention anything gang related in their lyrics what so ever.

You cannot spell crap without rap. heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Makaveli wrote:
    No most rappers are not in gangs. That's really quite a stupid question.

Thats really quite a harsh answer!

OP, if you take, lets say, the 100 top selling rappers, every one of them will have mentioned drug dealing in their lyrics. About 70-80 of the 100 will have claimed to sold significant amounts of crack at one time or another. However, they seem to forget that if 80% of young lads from the hood were selling crack, it would be a rather congested market :)

As for actual gangs, most of the west coast big names claim some affiliation. Snoop, Daz Dillinger, Lil Eazy E, Kurupt, Nate Dogg all claim Crip links. The Game and Suge Knight Blood. However none of this really ever seems to matter in business. Suge managed the aforementioned Crips, and Game has worked with Snoop. Ice Cube and Dr Dre claim no afffiliation iirc.

Snoop, 50, the wu tang are fairly grimey lads, but many of the rest, talkin bollix.

Advertisement