Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demand better skateparks

Options
  • 29-07-2006 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Just to illustrate how important it is for everyone to get involved with the planing of skateparks in your area here’s the original council plans for Lucan.

Skatepark%201.jpg

And here’s what the park looks like after skaters getting involved
    ie. insisting on a concrete park, attending meetings, suggesting quality companies to build the park etc.

DSCF1378.jpg

DSCF1382.jpg

DSCF1379.jpg

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1381.jpg

If you don’t get involved here’s what the council will build you...

Aisling Park , Dundalk
    parkoverveiw.jpg

The latest attrocity in a long list of skateparks unworthy of even being called skateparks.

Waterford RSC, Galway, Roscrea, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne, Cabra. Portlaoise.
    all modular all complete wastes of time and money.

When they've built it you can complain all you like but It’s TOO LATE!!
    The time to get involved is now.
    If you have a park being built in your area start phoning and emailing councillors demanding a quality concrete park be built and not another modular collection of biscuit tins in a car park.
    If you need any advice email me irishskateparkforum@yahoo.co.uk

Finally much props to the skaters, bikers and bladers that are working hard to help guide councils towards quality skateparks. Grant Masterson in Gorey http://www.goreyskateclub.com/ , The Lads at Lucan skate club, Gavin and Beky at bentfork http://bentforkbmx.proboards24.com/ , Roger K http://www.bushyskatepark.com/ , Paddy at Lazy Dog in Dun Laoghaire http://www.lazydog.ie/ and all the others out there pushing for decent parks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Here is a list of the skateparks being built and the estimated Overall Cost of each park.

Clare County Council Ennis €150,000
    Cork County Council Ballincollig €161,290
    Donegal County Council Letterkenny €75,000
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Monkstown €454,545
    Fingal County Council Blanchardstown €344,827
    Galway County Council Tuam €204,081
    Kerry County Council Tralee €882,352
    Laois County Council Mobile Facility €44,871
    Louth County Council Dundalk €50,000
    Meath County Council Dunboyne €90,000
    Monaghan County Council Monaghan Town €61,764
    Offaly County Council Tullamore €90,000
    South Dublin County Council Lucan €227,272
    Waterford County Council Tramore €280,000
    Westmeath County Council Athlone €300,000
    Wexford County Council Gorey €224,489
    Wicklow County Council Greystones €300,000
    Dublin City Council Cabra €200,000
    Galway City Council Westside €172,413
    Limerick City Council Clare Street €125,000
    Waterford City Council People’s Park €280,000

This information is calculated from the grant allocated and the percentage that is of the overall estimated build cost, as quoted in this dail report.....

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Dv7kSka4gTwJ:debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx%3FF%3DDAL20051117.xml%26Dail%3D29%26Ex%3DAll%26Page%3D24+skateboard+parks&hl=en&gl=ie&ct=clnk&cd=9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Cant wait to see what Tralee will be like with a budget of over E882,000. That has to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

they should definitely build a plaza with that kinda money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

DSCF1379.jpg

Sickest park ledge ever! maybe 5 or so inches too high - who cares! It rawks!

shagman wrote:
    Here is a list of the skateparks being built and the estimated Overall Cost of each park.

Clare County Council Ennis €150,000
    Cork County Council Ballincollig €161,290
    Donegal County Council Letterkenny €75,000
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Monkstown €454,545
    Fingal County Council Blanchardstown €344,827
    Galway County Council Tuam €204,081
    Kerry County Council Tralee €882,352
    Laois County Council Mobile Facility €44,871
    Louth County Council Dundalk €50,000
    Meath County Council Dunboyne €90,000
    Monaghan County Council Monaghan Town €61,764
    Offaly County Council Tullamore €90,000
    South Dublin County Council Lucan €227,272
    Waterford County Council Tramore €280,000
    Westmeath County Council Athlone €300,000
    Wexford County Council Gorey €224,489
    Wicklow County Council Greystones €300,000
    Dublin City Council Cabra €200,000
    Galway City Council Westside €172,413
    Limerick City Council Clare Street €125,000
    Waterford City Council People’s Park €280,000

This information is calculated from the grant allocated and the percentage that is of the overall estimated build cost, as quoted in this dail report.....

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Dv7kSka4gTwJ:debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx%3FF%3DDAL20051117.xml%26Dail%3D29%26Ex%3DAll%26Page%3D24+skateboard+parks&hl=en&gl=ie&ct=clnk&cd=9
    thats a hell of a lot more that 2 million, near on 4 million

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why does that Dundalk photo look SO contrived? Kids all look like they've been put there for the photo.

And what the hell is it with councils wanting to put seating in? Councillor here proposed COVERED seating for his vision of a skatepark in the roughest area of the town. Effectively, he wanted to put drinking and shagging shelters for the scumbags to use, although he claimed he hadn't thought of that...

f wrote:
    thats a hell of a lot more that 2 million, near on 4 million
    The 2 million grant scheme is not the total amount of money budgeted for parks.Each council that received a grant was expected to add money from their own budget.If you go to the dail report link (2nd post above) you'll see the breakdown of grants, precentages of total budget and proposed skateparks that failed to get a grant.
    Tralee should be rad with that kind of budget, we're gonna have to make sure they do it right.If you're from there get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

shagman wrote:
    Tralee should be rad with that kind of budget, we're gonna have to make sure they do it right.If you're from there get in touch.

Bruce Kelliher moved back to Tralee a few months ago, he should be down for the cause. With a budget of that size, a park like Stoke or Prissick in the UK is most definitely achievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sdjustin

tralee 880000 ? sounds sick it should be well put to a good cause !! ... how much was budgeted for lucan and bushy ?

sdjustin wrote:
    tralee 880000 ? sounds sick it should be well put to a good cause !! ... how much was budgeted for lucan and bushy ?
    lucan was about 250,000, i dont think bushy is on the list, but d say 300-400 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Just took a spin out too see if the Ballypheane skatepark was finished,and it is.If you look at the Dundalk pic above it is exactly the same,as the right hand side...in other words it is made by rhino and consists of a quarterpipe a wedge and a grind box in the middle....30,000 for this....it's a joke or our crooked polititions are making money vanish!!

There were never meetings with the end users of this park,the city council were refused funding for it and so funded it themselves.
    When I was there there was noone skating or riding it just tons of kids using it as a playground and sliding down the ramps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

sdjustin wrote:

Tralee have closer to €300k - €880k is some sorta misprint
    Bruce 'Da Ox' Kelliher is on da case so it should be all good
    As Shag's been sayin from da start of this - GET INVOLVED!!!
    We all worked our arses off & now Bushy is a reality

It can be done

JohnBoy

PS - Eejits are still breakin into Bushy
    They are riskin everythin - PLEASE be cool, it'll be open soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

f wrote:
    lucan was about 250,000, i dont think bushy is on the list, but d say 300-400 grand.

Bushy was closer to €300k
    Goes a long way if ya have da right builders/designers

PLEASE wait til its open - it'd be a shame to lose it now

JohnBoy

It got a grant of €150K which is only meant to be 17 percent of the total budget.
    See this link...

I don't know if they are required to actually spend this amount or not but obviously they are taking the job seriously. I'll look into it some more and try and find out what the actual budget will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

hey i didnt see a mention of a park happening in malahide but i just saw a small faltpack park size area being layed out in the grounds of malahide park.

oh ****.
    better stop em.

to the batmobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I see no mention of a park for Cavan :( No idea how many/if any skaters there are around there, anyone here from the Cavan area?

Me and a few mates got as far as a meeting with the council years ago, 5 maybe, we've all long since stoped skating/riding. I'd really like to get back into i again thou. Hopefull seeing some of the parks recently builth ill get some motivation to pick up the old bike again.

I'd just like to echo some of the above mentioned

Stay out of the park till it's officially open, you could be spoiling it for everyone nation wide who wants to visite the park

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

hey shagman
    i´m form roscrea and im wondering where u got ure info on a modular ramp skatepark in roscrea. i live in roscrea and there sure as hell is no modular ramp skatepark or a skatepark at all but we are proposing a concrete park like that of lucan and im just wondering where u got ure info? wb

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

jozi wrote:
    I see no mention of a park for Cavan :( No idea how many/if any skaters there are around there, anyone here from the Cavan area?

Me and a few mates got as far as a meeting with the council years ago, 5 maybe, we've all long since stoped skating/riding. I'd really like to get back into i again thou. Hopefull seeing some of the parks recently builth ill get some motivation to pick up the old bike again.

I'd just like to echo some of the above mentioned

Stay out of the park till it's officially open, you could be spoiling it for everyone nation wide who wants to visite the park

Jozi
    there's no chance of a park being built in Cavan, what with about 5 skaters left! if a park was to be built say, 4 years ago, like when you's tried then the scene would be much different now! back then I'd say there was at least 50 skaters about the place now things have just gone to fcuk!

neilk32 wrote:
    hey shagman
    i´m form roscrea and im wondering where u got ure info on a modular ramp skatepark in roscrea. i live in roscrea and there sure as hell is no modular ramp skatepark or a skatepark at all but we are proposing a concrete park like that of lucan and im just wondering where u got ure info? wb

SORRY bit of a brain burp there it's in loughrea not roscrea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

is there a wooden skatepark in the phoenix park called skateheaven it sais on www.concretedisciples.com that there is

• Advertisement

There's prob a phoenix park in the US i know there's a dublin there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

nah check it out it says phoenix park,dublin 7 ireland?

There's a mobile number there, give it a call and see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kcaolan

Dunboyne skatepark is in terrible state something needs to be done cane someone help me out on how I could get like a community project going to raise funds to get it repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Kcaolan wrote: »
    Dunboyne skatepark is in terrible state something needs to be done cane someone help me out on how I could get like a community project going to raise funds to get it repaired

Some details might help... Is there a damp layer of moss over the surface from lack of use; chips out of the concrete due to pyrite; junkies leaving needles; kids hanging out wearing the wrong style of cloths and riding penny boards and scooters; a zombie apocalypses?

Best course of action is to pull together a report... the easy bit is to find out how many people use it and how regularly... then cross compare this with other parks in the country. Compare the type of park (concrete/rhino; street/bowl/mini ramps) illustrate the 'terrible state' of the park and speculate on the reason for the terrible state of it.

Show how it has kept kids off the streets and doing something positive, use it as an example of discouraging anti social behavior; show how skateboarding is an Olympic sport and could put Dunboyne on the map... Request the council to repair; reinstate; redevelop the park... Ensure Tony Hawk is there for the grand opening... Ensure one of your wee grommets becomes an Olympic champion... Bobs' your uncle, Fannys' your aunt.

Unfortunately this needs to be done by the community... & that means you, your skater mates & your peers... no ones gonna do it for you.

Bring your beautifully presented report to a local town-hall meeting and make sure the local paper photograph you handing it over...

Advertisement