Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alignment of short putts

Options
  • 27-07-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I noticed something yesterday evening that has given me cause to question if I setup correctly to a putt, particularly short putts.

If I line up a relatively flat short putt, say 3~4 feet. I hunker down a few feet behind the ball and pick a mark that is dead centre of the cup, e.g. a discoloured piece of grass. The important thing is the mark is dead centre of the hole relative to the ball.

Keeping an eye on the mark I just picked out, I set up over the putt. The mark now seems to me to be left centre of the hole, and not dead centre as I saw when hunkered down behind the ball.

Is this phenomenon common to everyone? Or is it a sign that my eyes are not directly over the line of the putt?

Of the short putts I've missed in the past few months, and there have been a number of them, I believe that quite a lot of them were missed right. I put it down to a bad stroke, but now I'm wondering if my alignment was off in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This same idea is experience when you are lining up to a full shot in golf.

In putting unike the full swing, the eyes are (or at least should be) over the line of the putt.

My best advice is when you are practicing your putting, take a ball place it over your left eye and when you let that ball drop, it should hit the ball you plan to putt with. Thus confirming your eyes are over the line

This is something I practice myself using a special putting mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

I do is pick a spot a head of the ball and then point the ball makers name towards this mark and them align my putting head perpendicular to the ball makers name.

Advertisement