Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regrets

Options
  • 27-07-2006 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Do you think that people, on a whole, regret more the stupid stuff that they've done or the stuff they never did but wish they had? I was just thinking about this the other day and thought it would be interesting to see what other people feel about it. Personally, I would regret more the stupid stuff that I've done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Nah i regret the things i havent done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Nope, What's the point in regretting what's already done? You've done it, you know what its like. Can't change it now. I regret the things I haven't done, or didn't see coming and so couldn't prepare myself for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

I never regret anything I've done. Even the stupid things still taught me important things about life and about people.

I do regret stuff I havent done though, and theres a lot I would have liked to do before I became all mature with a mortgage and a picket fence and so on. Such is life though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Both tbh.

There are things I regret not doing while I had the chance and there are also a lot of things that I have done,thinking that by doing them I'd get the result I wanted but then realising that I had gone about it all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Yep, I regret the things I haven't done. There is so much! As for what mistakes I made, they are done and dusted and there is no point in dwelling on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

I used to think regrets were stupid- if the past hadnt gonr the way it had you wouldn't be where you are today and however bad that could be you have no sure way to tell the alternative.
    Regret only one thing i have done- and it annoys me that i do!
    Why should you look back when the only way you can move is forward?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I regret more what I had done wrong or badly, rather than what I have not done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd imagine age is a factor. Personally, I can't think of anything I regret not doing off the top of my head, but I can't think of lots of things or ways I did things that I regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

What if the things you regret doing are the things you wanted to do before it got too late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's fair enough to have regrets but what's utterly pointless and a waste of time is dwelling on them (in fact, you'll probably regret doing so). :)

As I've already said to someone in PI, sitting there regretting away to yourself would only be useful if you had access to a time machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"Nowadays people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and realise too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

Oscar Wilde. He rocks. Better to have loved and lost and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Perhaps I'm odd or naive but I don't quite understand regret in the longterm sense in which it is discussed here. I never had a lifeplan or an ambition and I've done quite well. Life works out. Maybe fortunate people don't regret??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Non, rien de rien,
    non, je ne regrette rien!
    Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait,
    ni le mal;
    tout ça m'est bien egal!

Non, rien de rien,
    C'est payé,
    balayé,
    oublié.
    Je me fous du passé!

Non, rien de rien,
    Car ma vie,
    car me joies
    aujourd'hui
    ça commence avec toi!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hurrah for Piaf.

In any case, no regrets. Live and learn. I haven't done anything stupid that I haven't made up for, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

The stupid stuff ive done and the things i should have done but never did.

But its all in the past and i prefer to not think about it.

You still learn through all your mistakes and i think the stupid things ive done have made me a better, stronger, wiser person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nope, whats done is done and thats all there is too it, leave any regrets it in the past and learn from your mistakes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I acknowledge that I have made some very very stupid decisions but I cant dwell on them or it will kill me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement