Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders in my wing mirrors

Options
  • 27-07-2006 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question. Every car I've ever owned has ended up with a nice big spider living behind the glass in the drivers side wing mirror. Not a problam now as much as it used to be as I'm slowly getting over my phobia of these critters, but I was wondering, is there a reason they always end up there?

Last night on the way home for example, I had to adjust the mirror. I could see the usual couple of legs poking out above the glass, and when I moved it, he retracted all the way in. Then appeared again a few minutes later.

Do they actually catch any food in a position like this and how in the name of jimminy could it be comfortable to be living behind a mirror on a car travelling at 120kmph on motorways?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I guess that for a spider it's actually pretty warm and cozy behind there, especially if you have heated door mirrors :), and I wouldn't think there'd be too much effect from the wind getting in around the edge of the glass as long as the surround juts out far enough.

The webs seem pretty robust when travelling along at slow-ish speeds, so maybe they act just like a big fishing net catching flies as you drive along.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had one in a VW Bora a few years back. He was a sizeable mofo and he was there more than a year. I never seen him after I left the car parked in a garage for 3 weeks while on holiday so I reckon hunger made him move to greener pastures. Either that or he starved to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually I managed to evict mine yesterday! Stopped at a traffic light, I wound my window down to remove the cobweb and the spider came out on the end of it! I'm guessing it won't be long before a new tenant moves in though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Have one myself. He's my pal and he goes everywhere I do.

I have called him Gulliver. His webs do piss me off at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

LOL. I thought I was the only one that had an eight legged travelling companion. I'm glad to see I'm not alone,or crazy
    Though in fairness, until recently, I was terrified of spiders, (how manly is that??) and when he stuck his head out when I was stopped, I'd put the window up immedaitely and just suffer the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I have a resident wing mirror spider too, every car I have owed has had one. Perhaps its to do with the fact I only wash them when the NCT is due so they get nice and cosy behind there.

A guy who stops at my B&B has one as well (don't know how we got round to discussing it). He has a lovely old Merc estate, wonder if spiders get wing mirror envy and want to do a swap now and then ?

Julie
    www.enjoy-our-hospitality.com

Advertisement