Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James E James Ltd

Options
  • 26-07-2006 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I wasn't sure whether this was the right place as it is aimed more at businesses but has anyone else had any problems with the above company sending them invoices for an advert that they did not want in some sort of 999 Magazine? I have never seen or heard of this publication and obviously I contacted them to say that I did not want the advert. They sent back a letter stating dates and names of people who contacted me to confirm the advert and order which was completely fictional. I'm in utter disbelief that companies would even try this?

The company has an address in Dundalk.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Get them to fax your signature on the order confirmation or feck off. We get cold calls from companies doing this kind of thing from time to time. Thats what we say, and Ive never heard from any of them again.

Edit: just found this:http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/3887/companyname/James-E-James-(liverpool)-Ltd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

standard scam - ignore them, or tell them you know it is a scam - they will move on to easier pickings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I got a call from a girl in there last wee. I has the misfortune to answer the phone. When I said we were not interested this time thank she would not let me hang up and actually told me to hear what she had to say before I hung up!
    I told her I was busy and goodbye and she started saying but Dellgirl2(!) you really havent heard what Im saying here....blah.....blah......
    Tell the moon , Idont care.
    If I get a bill in the door I wont be happy.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

They tried this THREE times on my company first time they got through to me, i said no, then they tried one of the other business partners, he said no, then they tried another staff member (since departed) he said no. they even went as far as placing the ad in their magazine and are STILL demanding payment, their letters go straight into the bin now following three phone calls from me stating each time

1) Where is my written authorisation to put the ad in the paper
    2) Where is the recording of me or any of my staff saying yes (Which they couldnt do anyway as I am the only one authorised in the company to place adverts)
    3) Why on earth would i advertise an irish company in an english magazine (I had never seen it prior to the magazine being sent out to me).

Another issue I have with their invoices is it dosent state the currency which could be Euros or Pounds....

All i can say is let them bring on the debt collectors they wont get a cent as there was no written agreement (or electronic agreement) so as I understand it under the law no contract was entered into.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

i dealt with James E James about 3 years ago, i agreed to `help fund` the mag by placing an add for my company, they specifically said it was an Irish info mag about the Irish emergency services, it was`nt, it was a stupid mag about a few British services and mostly adds, a scam, i refused to pay, they kept sending the bill, then the debt collecting side of their buisness phoned me, when i told them i had been on to the fraud squad(i had) and i wanted their name & number it was the last i heard from them, chancers. If they ever phone you, ask for the persons full name and number as you`ve heard of them and are going to report them to the police, i bet you wont be able to contact them on any number they give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Send them an invoice back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

jockster wrote:
    I wasn't sure whether this was the right place as it is aimed more at businesses but has anyone else had any problems with the above company sending them invoices for an advert that they did not want in some sort of 999 Magazine? I have never seen or heard of this publication and obviously I contacted them to say that I did not want the advert. They sent back a letter stating dates and names of people who contacted me to confirm the advert and order which was completely fictional. I'm in utter disbelief that companies would even try this?

The company has an address in Dundalk.

Yeah I got this same ****e about a year ago. They went to my website and downloaded my company logo, made an absolute balls of making an ad with my logo in it and then sent me an invoice. Warned them that their ad was so poor and tacky that it made my business look shoddy and if they published any of the draft they sent me I'd sue and that was the last I heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Darragh29 wrote:
    Yeah I got this same ****e about a year ago. They went to my website and downloaded my company logo, made an absolute balls of making an ad with my logo in it and then sent me an invoice. Warned them that their ad was so poor and tacky that it made my business look shoddy and if they published any of the draft they sent me I'd sue and that was the last I heard of them.

Hmmm, thats an idea should they try to contact us again (which i have no doubt they will and have told ALL employees to refer them direct to me if they ring!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Darragh29 wrote:

Have been approached in similar fashion, also got an unsolicited mock-up ad based on our homepage. Pure crap. Gave them a short sharp rebuttal (but polite). Never heard from them since. If they do, I'll report the magazine, I'd doubt if the Emergency Services would be too pleased with this 'sting' approach to fundraising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Very simply - send them a solicitors letter (if you have a regular solicitor it will probably be done for free) Tell them they have fraudently printed your company details in their magazine and for them to refrain from publishing any details of your company in any future publication or you will take legal action against them.

I did this last year and haven't heard dicky from them since.

I sent a similar letter to a company than sent in 2 boxes of till rolls - paper roll logistics - and then sent an invoice for €228. They treatened legal action and kept ringing - I kept telling the to eff off. - Normal cost of these is approx €15 per box from my regular supplier. Finally made up a legal advisor letterhead with false address & told these guys that the boxes will await their collection for a period of 28 days. If collection is not made the contents will be destroyed. - Had no contact since.

These are all scams - not one of these type of companies have ever or will ever take someone to court as they would probably get themselves arrested for fraudulent trading. - Same goes fopr Spanish directory company, Geneva Business Directory etc etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

standard scam - ignore them, or tell them you know it is a scam - they will move on to easier pickings

take this advice

Advertisement