Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery/Rescue Clubs

Options
  • 26-07-2006 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Apart from my putting problems :rolleyes: I picked up one of these recovery/rescue clubs as a prize in a society outing a few weeks back.
    I know a guy who uses one off the tee and knocks it 180yards down the middle every time and I'm seen some pros on telly using them from rough/fairway but what are your thoughts on them - anybody have one/use one etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I picked up one late last year. And it's a great club. I can use it from anywhere. But think of it like a 5 iron, that doesn't get snagged up in thick semi-rough. I've used it once or twice off the tee on par 3's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

I have one with a 22 degree loft (similar to a 4-iron). I hit it about 210 yards in the summer. Make sure you check the loft of the rescue club before you buy one. If you are looking for a replacement for a 3-iron or 5-wood look for a 17 to 19 degree loft.

I do find them easier to use out of the rough but I do miss my 4-iron at times when I'm standing on a 200 yard par 3 for that extra bit of control and feel you get from an iron.

High-handicappers would benefit most form a rescue type club as they tend to struggle with the longer irons (especially out of the rough).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I have two Taylor Made Rescue Duals (numbers 2 and 3, 18 and 22 degree I think) and I love them mainly cos I'm a novice player and end up amidst the trees or rough on the right hand side of the fairway pretty much on every hole so I have to chip out. I play a punch style shot with the rescue dual to keep it low and get me back towards the fairway. It keeps the ball really low but I'm always surprised at how far it goes even when playing this shot.

So for me on a par 4 I often hit a big enough drive but always go right, if I can get back onto the fairway with the rescue club, and maybe a bit further towards the green, I'm looking at a 6 to 9 iron into the green. For my game that's an improvement.

I'm not using them on the fairways much as I hit them very much left to right, but that's a major problem with my swing, not the club, and when I do connect properly they'll go 200 yards no bother. Once I master using them for full swing shots I'm sure they'll be amongst the handiest clubs in my bag (a title which my new lob wedge easily holds at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

have the TM Rescue Dual 2 (16 deg) and the Ben Hogan EDGE CFT hybrid 3 (21 deg) very handy clubs altogether, i took my 3 iron out of the bag as it was the same loft as my hogan hybrid, alway get 180-220 with them depending on lie/wind in your face etc. i got the TM because i didn't like most of the 5 woods.
    (very handy for long par 3's or par 4's that have trouble around the 250 mark.)
    check the loft and shaft on your club though, it needs to be the right shaft for your swing, plus check the loft as theirs no real point in having one thats the same as you 3 or 5 wood, you might be able to trade it for a shaft/loft combo that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

JR out of your 2 clubs which do you prefer, the TM or BH? I've been toying between the two and don't know whihc to get.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I got my Rescue club in Lidl for a score! 22* - does the job. Handy around the green... I bought it to just try one out, assuming I'd go and purchase a 'real' one if I thought they were the type of club worth having but I haven't had to change it! It's grand, does the job and during weather like this I get plenty of distance with it. Played today and hit four tee shots with it in the 210-230yd range. Happy Days...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i have a callaway FT that I just got and a callaway heavenwood that I have used for a year or so. I use them mostly off the tee on tight par 4s and for second shots into par 5s. They are great, I carry one of these instead of a 5 wood/3 iron.

I wouldn't at all say they are only for high handicappers, I have no trouble with long irons, the rescues are just a different type of club, high hitting, soft landing but a bit more accurate that a 5 wood.

Most of the guys I play with have gotten one after trying my ones and seeing how easy they are to hit straight and long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

stringy wrote:
    JR out of your 2 clubs which do you prefer, the TM or BH? I've been toying between the two and don't know whihc to get.
    Thanks
    i prefer the hogan i find it easier to swing, if you want to try the two out they have a small mcguirks in the driving range in celbridge where you can try out the clubs :)

but ring and check they have the hogan in first, they mat have to order it, they are a flamin nightmare in mcguirks for stock

Advertisement