Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have wireless laptop - want to print remotely

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless laptop and I want to be able to print from it without attaching my laptop to my printer.... how do I do this.... (I'm sure this is so basic so apologies in advance.... ) Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You will need a print server to connect the printer to the router, this can either be another computer (in which case this machine has to be turned on for you to print) or a stand alone print server like these: (http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.asp?q=Print+server)

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Thank you for your reply MC - appreciate it... I will check those print servers out.

MC - am I dreaming or is it possible to stick some type of stick (no pun intended here!).. into my printer and laptop and use blue tooth technology to print from my laptop .... (please don't laugh!, I've two toddlers and they have friend my brain).. I have one of those stick things somewhere I got with a mobile phone and I think I remember it saying on the back of the box that I could use it to print without wires..... If this all sounds a bit mad.. sorry! But thanks. Kind regards, Justagirl

It is possible to print via bluetooth but normally this require the printer to have it built-in, will have a route around see if I can find anything that will do what you ask.

Ahhh children, the worlds best contraceptive... LOL

A few links form what I found.

If you do buy a device to attach to the printer I'd advise to go the print server route as then all your PCs will be able to reach the printer not just bluetooth enabled ones. Also I'm not convinced the bluetooth frequencies won't interfere with WiFi that you have that so the server route is what I'd recommend as it'll be easier for tech support too as not too many people use Wireless bluetooth printing.

dLink make this, range is only 10m though (where to buy, well thats another days work ;)):
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=314

Lists some links:
    http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/mobileprinters/tp/bluetoothprint.htm

MC - u r a star.. thanks for that (don't think my printer has bluetooth already..).... the print server route is the way to go then... perfect.. I'll have a look at those links and then hit the shops..!!!! If I come unstuck I'll post back..

T.G. for boards.ie ........ quick free advice from experts...... brilliant... love it love it love it.... !:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are printing things that are of a confidential nature, you may also want to look into WiFi security issues?

Blue Lagoon - if I go the print server route - are u saying theres a chance that if my neighbour has the same set up that I could possibly print to their printer ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

More the other way round tbh. All you need to do is set up WPA or WEP on the wireless network and you'll be fine. If you have a wireless network running already you prob have this already. If not, you should!!!

irlrobins wrote:
    More the other way round tbh. All you need to do is set up WPA or WEP on the wireless network and you'll be fine. If you have a wireless network running already you prob have this already. If not, you should!!!

Ok. I've got WEP set up on my wireless internet connection ...so... if I get one of these print server thingys... I just set it up and it uses my existing router ... and that will be ok ?.....I'm a 'bit' out of touch technically here (so obvious eh!) so layman's terms are ideal!! Thanks.

Yep that's it in essence. So when you print the data will travel something like this:
    Latop --- Wireless link ---> Router --- Wireless Link ---> Printserver --- cable ---> printer.

• Advertisement

Fab. Thanks for the explanation....... I'll get there ...:o

... eventually!!

Well as long as you get there in the end.

This might be worth a look.

Knew you'd find a good print server irlrobins

That is a good choice justagirl.

MC

irlrobbins... thats great... I'll pick one up, you've made it very easy for me.

MC - thanks for recommendation.

Thank you both! You've made my life a lot easier!....

now... wonder could anyone on boards.ie magic my housework away...!!

Advertisement