Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a Good 1/2 inch Router

Options
  • 25-07-2006 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting my self a good 1/2 wood router, 2000 any advise on where. Im thinking of Trend, Hitachi, De Walt, a good machine, but Mc Quillans and B&Q are pretty expensive for these models

Guidence on brand would be helpful and what feature you would look for?

My initial requirement is to make some frame and panel doors for my bay windows, secondary glazing units, to make some replacement sliding sash windows and install one of the sash window draftproofing solutions.

Thx

V.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You should try the Woodcraft Forum in >Hosted>Recreation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Moved this from DIY to woodcraft on Qwertys suggestion.:)

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Now, I'm not a router expert by any means, but for prices you could try www.axminster.co.uk. They have the brands you mentioned plus a couple of others. I've dealt with them before and was very happy.

You can also try this place http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/export/#ireland_anchor which is Trend's official "Router Centre" in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You could try:

WOODWORKERS AND HOBBIES SUPPLY CENTRE LTD
    1-10 MOUNT TALLENT AVENUE
    TERENURE
    DUBLIN 6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Best router pound for pound is a toss up between Hitachi's top of the range, and porter cable's top of the range.

I spent 3+ years making over 60 staircases , oak, ash, teak, mahogany, all by hand. Hitachi performed faultlessly on stair string trenching , and newel post mortices, and tenon forming on the string ends. It never let me down, and took all the abuse it was given. Tough going. I understand from fellow tradesmen , the the Porter cable performs in a similar maner

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have not seen porter cables for sale outside the US, they certainly feature in all the us mags and some of the woodworking DVDs and books I have bought.

Worth a look.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Porter Cable is now part of the Black&Decker "empire", and by all accounts from reading newsgroups in the States their quality has declined.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

As you well know black and decker is also part of the de walt empire. And the de walt has also declined somewhat in quality over the past few years.

Milwaukee appear to have some good tools, although I personally have never used them.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Milwaukee as far as I can remember own Atlas Copco which have some very good tools I did use a few Milwaukee tools about 3 years ago They were okey but nothing great. For the router I'd recomend one of the makita range We have 2 of theirs in the workshop with years and they've done some ammount of work and are still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I have the Hitachi M12V and its an absolute beast of a machine! Very reliable and will do anything u put in its way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

Go with the big Hitachi, I bought the big M12 jobbie with the variable speed,20 years ago in maquillans and it never let me down. 12 members of staff abusing it on a daily basis, it sat in a router table most of the time, ripping hugh amounts of timber in one pass. It's still going strong, but Iv'e retired it now and only use it for my own small projects, but I'd recommend it to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

At work at the mo I have been using a Bosch router a lot there are a couple in the workshop and for site work they are the nicest router I have ever used except for the on off switch which is slightly out of reach when holding it by the handles. It has interchangeable collets 1/4 and 1/2 inch, no spindle lock instead you use two spanners, interchangeable bases , fixed and plunge. I have also used it mounted in a Jessen router table and it performs amazingly. i will post the model number when I get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

If you want, can supply you with a Good Quality Freud Router New, and post it to you from Donegal. Can source any other brand for you - like trend, but have a full range of Freud in stock at all times. specs as below for the 2000

FT2200 - ROUTER MACHINE

Robust and versatile router. Comes with powerful 1900w motor. Soft start and auto stop carbon brushes. Three preset depth settings and dust extraction connector. Provided with fence and guide.

Vertical columns protected with rubber bellows against external aggression and dust etc.
    Electronic speed control
    Soft start
    Spindle lock
    3 Preset depth settings
    Micro adjuster side fence
    Dust kit.
    30mm guide bush
    Watts

Voltage
    110/230v

No load speed
    10,000- 25,000 rpm

Depth adjustment
    0-67mm

Dust extraction
    Yes

Collets
    ¼” & ½”

Weight
    5.6 kg

OR the 3000 also in stock
    FT3000 - ROUTER SYSTEM

Reliable, powerful and easy to use Router for the demanding professional.

Robust, high performance machine.
    Micrometer depth adjustment.
    Vertical columns protected with rubber bellows against external aggression and dust etc.
    Electronic speed control
    Soft start
    Spindle lock
    3 Preset depth settings
    Micro adjuster for machine when inverted in a table
    Micro adjuster side fence
    Dust kit .30mm guide bush
    Watts
    1900W

Voltage
    230/110v

No Load speed