Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of images

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

*Snip*

Read the charter...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

*Snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's not really the case, the newspaper has no right to use the image at all without the permission of the copyright holder (OP's friend) and then it is up to what the parties agree between themselves.

A broadcast on television does not give an automatic right to republish, no. Did the newspaper get a copy of the image from RTE, or was it a screenshot of the TV broadcast?

If your friend is just looking for a credit, not money, then I would just write a letter to the newspaper requesting this. If he's looking for money then I would suggest asking for a reasonable fee along the lines of what the newspaper would normally pay for a single image.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure it was his picture and not a very similar one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Guys, I know my moderatorship hasn't been the most hands on in here but I know for a fact that Hull has made it abundantly clear on numerous occasions that the request for advice is the ONE major rule in this forum. The exchange of legal advice just leaves a potential liability against boards.ie and the major condition in creating this forum by DeV was that this would not be breached or risked. Please adhere to the rules or bannings are imminent.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement