Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT emissions DE-CAT pipe workaround

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Is there any way around failing NCT emissions if you have a full system with De-Cat pipe installed.

I realise getting a standard exhaust(with cat) is an option albeit an expensive one. I cannot find any secondhand exhaust at the minute.

I chanced the car in the NCT 2 years ago and it was WAY over allowable limits. I installed an original exhaust and hey presto no problems on the re-test, unfortunately that exhaust has long since been butchered for parts by the guy I got a loan of it off.

My question is, is there some sort of universal or temporary solution? something I can shove into the exhuast? I cannot buy a universal cat as my full system is all mig-welded up so it would mean cutting it.(ouch). So I either need a full second hand exhaust or else something I can out into the exhaust. This is only temporary. Like a 1 hour fix, just for the test. maybe I could get an old cat and make something and put it in the downpipe? any ideas?

chores...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I cant see any way around your problem, I'm afraid. The whole purpose of the CAT is to filter harmful emissions. You will need to either:
    install a cat within your own exhaust system - or -
    replace your system with a complete exhaust from another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

All of my mates have had to replace either the CAT or the whole exhaust. It's a trip to the scrappies for you i'm afraid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Think of the environment!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

What make and yr is your car
    If its pre 01 then the cat is not monitored by EOBD and you should be able to
    get a standard cat inserted inline. It will take a little work but you can cut out about 2 feet obtain a good cat and weld accomodating ends onto the cat and your original pipe and make a corrosponding straight piece then its just a matter of bolting on and off when needed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

damn it!... thanks for the feedback lads. I guess I was expecting some sort of miracle cure like

1. soak a sponge overnight in honey (must be acacia honey only)
    2. rinse sponge the next day in 2 parts vineger 1 part WD40
    3. wrap sponge around an unused brillo pad and insert into exhaust.
    4. This will cut emissions for 50 minutes only.

I guess Im off to the junkyard... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement