Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Event Waterford Report

Options
  • 24-07-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Our first venture at a team event and it was a difficult task but turned out to be a truely profeesional event with the standard of play quite high, A few regular faces started the day from Counties far and wide ..

Poker Events had there team in with Ross o Boyle the captain Leading the front , The Macau in Cork was Captained by Owner Ken Corkery and with Flipper walsh in form was looking good before the tournament started ... Locals seemed to enjoy the Banter with the tipp players with the match on the Big Screen ...

Play started 15 mins late due to teams registering late , And unfortunately two teams failed to show for the event at the start which reflected badly on themselves as we had 10 teams on a waiting list all week and to not show up on the event day with no contact was bad form ....Captains know who they are ?

We started the event with 43 teams and 172 runners , and after 3 hands we had lost our 1st player as Alan Phelan took the wooden spoon and was out first out of the event , Players were not playing safe at the start and after an hour of play we had lost 12 players which was double what i had expected ....

Players started dropping after the break and teams started realising that they were not in the runnind with 2/3 players gone off there team, The scoreboard was changing fast and teams started calculating what they had to do to catch up with the leaders ....

We were down to 45 when it started getting interesting as at that stage only 11 teams could still win the evennt , Favourites at this stage were Alex Colliers team from wexford , Connie O Sullivans team from Killarney , Peter Gells team from Killkenny , Paul Kavanaghs Team from clonmel who were the 4 teams with the most players left in when it got down to the final 2 tables ...

It was Alex Colliers team who went out with all players gone and had a final score of 447 , Which now meant they could only finish 3rd if Paul Kavanaghs team could gain 121 points with 2 players left they would catch them up , but pauls Team fell at the last hurdle and it was down to two teams with Alex Colliers team Taking 3rd And €2000 ... Connie o sullivans team then told him at the final table that he must finish 5th now to win the event as this would make it impossible for Peter Gell to catch up ,

Connie seemed to understand fully where he stood and played some sensible poker , Chip Leader at the final Table was Seamus aldridge from New Ross and he was as aggressive as he could get at the table and started taking out players all over the table as Peter Gells looked on hoping Connie would slip up ..

But it was not 2 be 4 peter and 4 players were knocked out of the event and Connie recieved the info he was waiting for that his team was now clear of Peters Team ,

Peter Took his €4000 2nd prize and was very happy to do so for his team, Connie Looked at the trophys with a glee knowing that he would be taking home the trophys and €8000 back to killarney .....

Our final table was very interesting and was dominated by Seamus aldrige , There was a pool of €3200 also for the final table with the total payout at €17200 in total

1ST TEAM -CONNIE O SULLIVAN - €8000
    2ND TEAM -PETER GELL -€4000
    3RD TEAM -ALEX COLLIER - €2000

Final Table TOP 4
    SEAMUS ALDRIGE - 1ST €1000
    ALAN O GORMAN - 2ND €700
    PETER GELL - 3RD €500
    CONNIE O SULLIVAN - 4TH €400

Well done to Seamus Aldridge who battled through the field to win the individual prize and €1000

Thank you to all 43 teams that played and we will let u know when our next team event will be on....
    Also thank to our floor staff and 21 Dealers who were truely superb and conducted themselves professionally throughout the event
    Neill Bsp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

We would also like some feedback on the event from those who Played

See ye all next month for our Freezeout ....Details T.B.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheRock

Well run and ye controlled what had to be a difficult to manage event extremely well. The inevitable players legging it out when knocked out without giving their name was handled great. Something Fintan will have to watch closely for the Irish Poker Cup next month with 320 players. Thought the way ye paused the clock to break the tables early was a good idea (even if I did bitch about having 7), as ye had to make sure team members didn't join tables.

There was great banter at all the tables and everyone had a great craic. And there was plenty of action on the side tables for the early casualties.

Obviously on a personal note it would have been nice to get more than €700 for coming 2nd individually in an 180 runner event:rolleyes: . But I know the team event was the whole point.;)
    Think a slightly bigger buyin would be good. Even €600 or €800 per team of 4 instead of €400.

Well done Alan really taught u played well mate i understand that point and as an alleged fellow poker player it was hard only giving 1st place €1000 but all in all 19 people got paid which i taught was great value ...I will Definately be looking at the structure for the next team event in Waterford ..

I appreciate the info Alan as it all helps the next event which gets a little easier ...

we will also be changing the break structure for the next event as the first break seem to take ages to get to .....

My next venture is The Munster Championship which will be a €250 Freezeout which the marketing will start fairly soon...

We dont want to drown out the team event so we will probably hold the next one in september and choose a date which does not clash with anything and my plan is to make it €150 per player with the €20 reg included in the fee and increase it to a 50 team event which will generate the following

€130x200 = 26000
    €20 Reg x 200=4000 which will cover 23 dealers 5 floor staff , Room hire ,trophies , food(served)

1st team =€10000
    2nd team =€5000
    3rd team = €2000
    TOTAL TEAM PAYOUT= €17,000

FINAL TABLE PAYOUT = €9000

1ST - €4000
    2ND - €2000
    3RD- €1000
    4TH - €600
    5TH - €500
    6TH - €300
    7TH - €250
    8TH - €200
    9TH - €150

THIS SHOULD SOLVE ALL THAT

Thanks for your support and Well played 2nd in that field is no mean Feat..

Neill K
    B.S.P

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Lplate

Neil, I thought the event was excellent. If I had to gripe I'd point out two things.
    The first was that when a rules dispute came on our table, the floor manager who came over to rule didn't have a full understanding of the rules as you had written out. He wanted to agreee with the "local" opinion. You, when he asked, quickly dispelled this and made a couple of announcements as to the rule which was good, but all your staff should have been aware of the tournament rules beforehand.
    The second was that on my table the dealer was never in charge and there were two of them before I made my exit. Friendliness is a good thing but familiarity and letting players make rulings is not. The dealers should be made aware that people are travelling to an event of this magnitude and they should treat everyone with the same level of courtesy, whether they know them or not.
    However, overall I thought you put on a great show. The structure was good, your own control as td was good and your commentary was humourous. Your proposed new structure looks very good and I'm sure we'll be travelling again.
    Well done.

I appreciate the feedback let me know who u r so i dont feel rude ....
    I fully agree with your points and they were noted in the meeting Post Tournament , Our Head Dealer and my self had a meeting with the dealers before the event and had strict instructions on knowing players at the table and getting invoved so if u can pm the dealers description or name if u remember them , I will be meeting them before our next event and i will bring up that point i assure u .

On the Floor note two rule changes were made in the past two weeks and I know it was the rule if u show one show all rule ..
    RULE 23
    If cards are shown to one player they must be shown to all players. Also, if one card is shown the second card should be shown by the dealer if requested by any other player.

Again i was quick enough to make sure the mistake by one of our floor managers was quickly noted and that all players were aware of this ruling , But this does not excuze the mistake by the floor manager ... I will make a note of the locals thing and assure u that all your points will be dealt with before our tournament even this weds ....

Again thank you for your support at this event and i appreciate feedbck good or bad as we stride to make each tournament better the next time around...

I have a few ideas for the upcoming events with Big Slick , The Grand hotel will continue as norm which will lead up to the freezeout in the club in carlow in September ....GRAND HOTEL TRAMORE €50 + €10 FREEZOUT EVERY WEDS STARTS 8.30 PM

We will also have €100 Freezouts in between this with one now scheduled for Aug 20th in the Tower Hotel provisionally...

We dont want to drown out the team event so we will probably hold the next one in september and choose a date which does not clash with anything and my plan is to make it €150 per player with the €20 reg included in the fee and increase it to a 50 team event which will generate the following

€130x200 = 26000
    €20 Reg x 200=4000 which will cover 23 dealers 5 floor staff , Room hire ,trophies , food(served) and all other added expenses for the event

1st team =€10000
    2nd team =€5000
    3rd team = €2000
    TOTAL TEAM PAYOUT= €17,000

FINAL TABLE PAYOUT = €9000

1ST - €4000
    2ND - €2000
    3RD- €1000
    4TH - €600
    5TH - €500
    6TH - €300
    7TH - €250
    8TH - €200
    9TH - €150

This will solve the problem of the final table not having a good payout .... We will also have an individual winners trophy for the tournament winner.......

The way the food was served by the hotel really annoyed me at the event and will be sorted for future events , This was out of my control in Waterford and i apologise for such poor service from the hotel which has now been addressed

We will also be changing the break structure for the next event as the first break seem to take ages to get to .....

My next venture is The Munster Championship which will be a €250 Freezeout which the marketing will start fairly soon...I know poker events run there own munster cup , but we now have to stride to be as big as Poker Events and hopefully i will have this event sponsored and also Big Slick by then...

We will make this a festival of poker in Waterford With a Saturday event also which will prob be a €100 Freezeout event ,and we will try and get 200 runners The sunday main event which will give a €50000 prizepool which will be run over one day with the same half hour blind structure but with a larger starting stack of 10k which will give great value......

Thanks for your support

Neill K

• Advertisement

If u get a chance sign up to our own forum and check out the website for upcoming events

Here are the addresses....

FORUM IS AT--- http://bigslicktour.proboards54.com/

WEBSITE IS --- WWW.BSPTOUR.NET

NEILL
    BSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheRock

We will also have €100 Freezouts in between this with one now scheduled for Aug 20th in the Tower Hotel provisionally...

Neill, August 20th is last day of Macau Festival, although I suppose must will be long out by then:rolleyes:

Thanks alan ill look at another date as ill be up there for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

congrats on a very well run tourney neill
    it went very smoothly and obviously a lot of work went into it
    the two screens made it easy to see who was ahead at all times and your running commentary let everyone keep track of who was getting knocked out

just a pity the rest of my team were gone by half four
    richie might be dropped for the next one :D

i agree with alan the prize money for the final table was disappointing after 9 hours play but i know most of the money had to go to the teams.
    the payout structure for the next one sounds much better,
    hope im at the final table again to take advantage of it........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

having spent alot of time in the bar doing research for you at the event, most people i spoke to were very happy with the tournament. however, the the structure for breaks was not the best. suggest at least a 10 minute every 2 hours, think i really would have liked one if i lasted two hours

• Advertisement

U had enough time to see it all nick thats for sure and u seemed to enjoy those few pints mate ...

I agree totally on what u wrote i felt as if the breaks would never come ...I have structure changed for the next Team Event which will prob be late september before our €200 Freezeout in the Carlow to generate tickets for this event ...

Thanks for your input and as always your support my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi Neil,
    First of all,congratulations on a super tournament We had two teams travelled down and everybody had a great week-end.I couldnt fault ye're running of the event,but heres a couple of little tips where you could find improvements:
    1--Have your food break after the 150-300 blind level.Just felt the last day that the break would have been better a level earlier.
    2--To help with identifying players when they get knocked out,I would suggest each player has a name card(with players name and team on it) that he gives to the dealer when he sits down.When he gets knocked out,(and most players head for the exit door when they get busted),the floor person collects his/her card from the dealer and that would avoid situations like ---
    floor person--"who got knocked out there?" -dealer- "dont know his name,he was wearing a green t-shirt"
    3--Up the entry fee to €600 700 or 800 euro per team and make the individual prizes a bit better(as youve suggested).But always remember,its a team event !st and foremost and thats where the emphasis should be.
    4--Balancing tables-I know this is quite awkward when your trying to keep team members apart,but the were times on Sunday when the blinds got high when some tables had 9 players while another table had 7 and when floor person was contacted,he often said play away,we'll be breaking a table soon.But if a player is short-stacked,he doesnt want the blinds to be coming round to him more often than it is on other tables.
    5--Breaking tables--just one instance I saw when our table broke and I presume it was the norm for the day,--floor person arrives and tells us "the table is breaking,you three(seats 8,9 and 10) go to table 1." I gathered my chips and made my way there but the 3 seats available were not assigned to the three players arriving and one of us had to sit into the big blind and who wants to volenteer for that? It can make for an awkward situation and I would recommend some kind of a draw for seats when a table is broken.

Im not trying to pick holes in your tourney,Im just suggesting minor tweaks that I think would improve it.I didnt know what to expect as it was my first experience of a big slick tournament,and I must say I was really impressed.You should be proud of your staff who were professional and courtious and I can guarantee you we'll have at least double the amount of teams entered in your next one.(with the late finish,a Saturday would suit travelling teams better I think)
    We were delighted to win the tournament and Id like to thank my fellow team members,michael o brien(hawley bear), billy houlihan and the Klingon declan mcCarthy.Congratulations on a VERY well run tournament,it was a credit to you.

I saved your points connie and thank u for the time u took to address these as it helps us... Yes The name tag is good idea which Fintan has in place for the Irish cup and moving tables i have to look at the structure for the next event and take advice from what i see in Poker Events Team Event ,

I Will try and look at a saturday for next one but with interest so high for the next event already if it gets any bigger it will be a two day event with longer blinds

The Breaks were my fault and i agree seemed to take ages to get to .. As for the food again sorted .. Food will be alot better next time as I felt the hotel Left us Down for what was provided at a cost factor ot €1032 for food i was disgusted with the way it was served up..

Balancing tables for this event was not easy as per usual we move the next big blind but in this event it was not as easy .. I will sit down with Donal and Fintan and take advice from the two on the best possible way as Everything we do we try to keep to the standards of Poker Events which i find top class ....

Again i thank u, and congrats to your team who player superb poker and to yourself who got them to the position that they needed so they could not be caught on pts ..

I hope to see you at more of our events connie and i really appreciate the comments here and i hope people start to see the types of professional tournaments are available in the South Of Ireland

WELL DONE TEAM KILLARNEY AND SEE YOU IN KILARNEY SOON M8

CONNIE THE BANTER IS ON THE WATERFORD FORUM FOR THIS EVENT AND WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE U SIGN UP

The Website will keep u up to date with what is coming up and the forum u shld post as winners

FORUM - http://bigslicktour.proboards54.com/
    WEBSITE - www.bsptour.net

NEILL KELLY
    BSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

Poker Events had there team in with Ross o Boyle the captain Leading the front
    Neill Bsp

hmmm.... as the actual captain of this team i'm very annoyed at ross being named as captain. only joking! very well run tournament. wish i could have stayed longer to play but getting 50th out of 172 entries without ever getting over my starting stack is something i'm proud of and is a credit to the excellent blind structure. my only criticism of the day was one of the dealers. he was very slow at getting action going and never opened his mouth to say if there was a raise, fold, call etc. very confusing when you cant see all the players. but as a dealer myself i know this comes with practise. i would suggest spending a couple of hours with dealers and go through as much as possible. shuffling, split pots, announcing action etc.
    but well done to you. very good job on your behalf. i'd play another event again.
    caroline

Thanks for the comment caroline .... I agree with what u say but unfortunately we had a few of our regular dealers went to the Waterford match i was left with a couple of dealers who were average and still learning..

They had a meeting Pre Tournament about all that and i apologise if they were not performing as they should have ...

Again we will be meeying them later tonight for our weekly freezeout so ill bring up your pts

Thanks 4 ur support

Neill
    Bsp

Advertisement